Maroon and White Scrimmage highlights Aggie softball’s 2024 squad

Photo by Katelynn Ivy

Sophomore INF Kennedy Powell (5) swings for the ball during the Aggie softball team’s Maroon & White game on Friday, Oct. 27, 2023 at Davis Diamond (Katelynn Ivy/The Battalion).

Texas A&M softball set its sights on itselves on Friday, Oct. 27 in the Maroon and White Game at the Davis Diamond.
In a rain-delayed scrimmage, the maroon team led by junior pitcher Emily Leavitt took on the white team led by junior pitcher Emiley Kennedy.
The white team was at bat first and first up was junior shortstop Koko Wooley, who got a hit to make it to first.
However, a throwing error helped advance her to second and a wild pitch moved her to third. A centerfield shot from sophomore third baseman Kennedy Powell sent Wooley home and Powell to second base to make 1-0 for the white team.
Another wild pitch allowed Powell to steal third base and graduate center fielder Jasmine Hill hit a deep ball into left-center field to send Powell and herself home to increase the white team’s lead to 3-0.
The maroon team was able to send senior second baseman Sav Price to second base, but Kennedy struck out three maroon team members to keep it a 3-0 white team.
The second inning had the white team with two outs as Powell hit to advance to first base. What followed was Hill walking to first with Powell stealing second, and Harper getting a hit to take first while advancing everyone else.
The score climbed to 5-0 for the white team as junior Allie Enright hit it into right centerfield, sending Powell and Hill home.
To finish the second inning, the maroon team got on the board to make it 5-1. This was done by freshman designated hitter Mya Perez, who walked to first base, and junior right fielder Kramer Eschete went in as a pinch runner.
From there, freshman designated hitter Scout Lovell hit and made it to second base off of a throwing error while Kramer scored a run for the maroon team to cut the lead to 5-1.
The third inning started with sophomore designated hitter Gracyn Coleman grabbing a walk and Enright coming in for her. A hit from senior second baseman Rylen Wiggins advanced Enright to second.
A bunt from Wooley sent Enright home to make 6-1 as Wooley made it to third base. Wooley was then able to make it home herself to turn the game into a 7-1 ballgame.
A four-run third inning for the maroon team helped get them back into the game. A hit into right centerfield sent Price to third base, and another hit from senior right fielder Trinity Cannon sent her home as Eschete came in to be a runner for Cannon as the maroon team made it 7-2.
The game became 7-3 when Jones hit it to center field to send Eschete home. Two more runs followed when Lovell hit to send Jones home and sophomore infielder Kylei Griffin sent Price and Lovell home for a 7-5 score.
The scrimmage came to a close at the top of the fourth inning, where a quick three and out ended the scrimmage with a score of 7-5.
The Maroon and White will go on to finish their fall exhibitions on Saturday, Nov. 4, against Texas Woman’s University.