Meet the 2017-18 Texas A&M men’s basketball squad

Photo by Photo by: C. Morgan Engel
Senior Tonny Trocha-Morelos

The No. 16 Texas A&M Aggies (1-0) return to Reed Arena Friday night for their home opener. They will be facing off against the UC-Santa Barbara Gauchos (1-1) after defeating then No. 11 West Virginia at Ramstein Air Base in Germany. The core of the team remains very similar to last year, but as a whole, the team has a new look with six true freshmen and two transfers joining the Aggies’ campaign towards conference and postseason success. 
Senior Tonny Trocha-Morelos
Center Tonny Trocha-Morelos, a university studies business senior from Cartagena, Columbia, returns for his senior season after a productive junior year. Last season, Trocha-Morelos averaged 8.1 points per game and shot 40.6 percent from the field. In the preseason exhibition match against the University of Texas, Trocha-Morelos finished the game with 19 points.
Junior Chris Collins
Guard Chris Collins, a junior industrial distribution major from Friendswood, Texas, saw increased playing time during his sophomore season and will enter this season as one of the Aggies’ veteran players.
Freshman John Walker III
Forward John Walker III, a freshman university studies leadership freshman from Missouri City, Texas. During his senior season at Thurgood Marshall High School, Walker III helped lead his team to a second place finish in the 5A UIL State Championship while averaging 16 points, 12.5 rebounds and 1.5 blocks.
Junior DJ Hogg
Forward DJ Hogg, a sports management junior from Plano, Texas, returns for his third season at Texas A&M. Hogg had a solid freshman year in the 2015-2016 season and was named to the SEC All-Freshman Team. Last season, Hogg was off to a strong start, averaging 12 points-per-game and 5.1 rebounds, but saw his season interrupted by a foot injury in February and was ruled out for the rest of the season. Hogg was recently named in the Julius Erving Small Forward of the Year Watch List.
Freshman JJ Caldwell
Guard JJ Caldwell, a freshman sports management major from Houston, Texas, starts his career at Texas A&M after being ranked as a member of the ESPN Top 100. After several productive and award winning seasons at Cypress Woods High School, Caldwell played his senior season for the SATCH (Sports Association of Texas Christian Homeschoolers) Varsity west team. Caldwell is suspended for the first five games of the season due to violation of university policy. He will return for the game against Pepperdine on November 24. 
Freshman TJ Starks
Guard TJ Starks, a marketing freshman from Lancaster, Texas, has shown he can be an important part of the 2017-2018 Texas A&M squad after scoring 21 points against Tarleton State in the first home preseason exhibition game this season. In High School, Starks was honored as a Class 5A All-State player and the 2017 5A Region 2 District 10 Offensive Player of the year.
Freshman Jay Jay Chandler
Guard Jay Jay Chandler, a sport management freshman from Katy, Texas, begins his career as an Aggie after being a consensus 4-star prospect. During his senior season, Chandler helped lead Cinco Ranch High School to the 6A District 19 Championship and was named the district’s most valuable player.
Junior Admon Gilder
Guard Admon Gilder, an university studies business junior from Dallas, Texas, returns for his third season at Texas A&M. Gilder has been a key part of the Aggie squad throughout his collegiate career, but stood out as a team leader in the 2016-2017 season after averaging 34.6 minutes-per-game. Gilder led the team in both assists (120) and steals (60) while averaging 13.7 points-per-game. After his strong performance against then No. 11 West Virginia, Gilder was named SEC Player of the Week.
Freshman Savion Flagg
Guard/Forward Savion Flagg from Alvin, Texas, is a business management freshman. A member of the ESPN Top 100, Flagg averaged 31.3 points-per-game during his senior campaign at Alvin High School and also received 6A All-State honors.
Junior Josh Nebo
Forward Josh Nebo is a recreation, park and tourism sciences junior from Houston, Texas. Nebo transferred from Saint Francis after two productive seasons at the school. Nebo recorded a single-season record 89 blocks Saint Francis for the 2016-2017 season and was named NEC Defensive Player of the Year. Nebo will sit out this season due to NCAA transfer rules.
Freshman Cameron Alo
Guard Cameron Alo is a sports management freshman from Houston, Texas. Alo graduated from St. Thomas high School, where he helped lead the team to the TAPPS 6A State Semifinals.
Junior Frank Byers
Guard Frank Byers is a petroleum engineering junior from Dallas, TX. In this third season as a part of the Texas A&M basketball team, Byers will be one of the veterans on a team with seven freshman.
Freshman Isiah Jasey
Forward Isiah Jasey, a agriculture and life sciences freshman, played two seasons at Kileen Elison High School in Kileen, Texas before moving to Sunrise Christian Academy in Wichita, Kansas. Jasey was regarded as a 4-star recruit by ESPN.
Junior Tyler Davis
Center Tyler Davis, a university studies leadership junior from Plano, Texas, is returning to Texas A&M for his third season. In the 2016-2017 season, Davis ranked 12th in the SEC with 14.1 points-per-game and 8th with 7.0 rebounds per game. Davis also finished third in the SEC with 3.1 offensive-rebounds-per-game. Davis was named to the Preseason Second Team All-SEC and the Kareem Abdul-Jabbar Award Watch List. In the season opener and win over then No. 11 West Virginia, Davis totaled 23 points, 13 rebounds and one block.
Graduate student Duane Wilson
Guard Duane Wilson is a recreation, park and tourism sciences graduate student from Milwaukee, Wisconsin. Wilson played three seasons at Marquette and started in 51 of the 95 games he appeared in. Wilson finished the 2015-16 season averaging 11.9 points-per-game and shoot 35.5 percent from three-point range.
Sophomore Mark French
Guard Mark French, a finance sophomore, went to Prestonwood Christian Academy in Plano, Texas. In 2016, French helped Prestonwood claim the 2016 TAPPS State Championship. French appeared in three games in his freshman season at Texas A&M.
Sophomore Robert Williams
Forward Robert Williams, a recreation, park and tourism sciences major from Shreveport, Louisiana, was projected as a lottery pick in the 2017 NBA draft but decided to return to Texas A&M for his sophomore season. After a season averaging 11.9 points-per-game, 8.2 rebounds-per-game and recording 77 blocks, Williams was named SEC Defensive Player of the Year as well was Second Team All-SEC. This year, Williams was named Preseason First Team All-SEC and Co-SEC Player of the Year. Williams was suspended for the first three games of the season after violating university policy and will return Nov. 20 against Oklahoma State.

• Junior Chris Collins

Photo by Photo by: C. Morgan Engel
  • Freshman John Walker III

Photo by Photo by: C. Morgan Engel
  • Junior DJ Hogg

Photo by Photo by: C. Morgan Engel
  • Freshman JJ Caldwell

Photo by Photo by: C. Morgan Engel
  • Freshman TJ Starks

Photo by Photo by: C. Morgan Engel
  • Freshman Jay Jay Chandler

Photo by Photo by: C. Morgan Engel
  • Junior Admon Gilder

Photo by Photo by: C. Morgan Engel
  • Freshman Savion Flagg

Photo by Photo by: C. Morgan Engel
  • Junior Josh Nebo

Photo by Photo by: C. Morgan Engel
  • Freshman Cameron Alo

Photo by Photo by: C. Morgan Engel
  • Junior Frank Byers

Photo by Photo by: C. Morgan Engel
  • Freshman Isiah Jasey

Photo by Photo by: C. Morgan Engel
  • Junior Tyler Davis

Photo by Photo by: C. Morgan Engel
  • Graduate student Duane Wilson

Photo by Photo by: C. Morgan Engel
  • Sophomore Mark French

Photo by Photo by: C. Morgan Engel
  • Sophomore Robert Williams

Photo by Photo by: C. Morgan Engel
  • Texas A&M Men’s Basketball Team

Photo by Photo by C. Morgan Engel
  • Texas A&M Men’s Basketball Team

Photo by Photo by: C. Morgan Engel
  • Texas A&M Men’s Basketball Team

Photo by Photo by C. Morgan Engel
  • Texas A&M Men’s Basketball Team