Meet the recruits

National Signing Day is six days away. With less than a week until the big day, the Aggies have 16 verbal commitments, three early enrollees and a few more high-profile recruits they are hoping to snag come next Wednesday afternoon. As part of a week-long feature leading up to the athletes signing the dotted line, The Battalion will feature profiles of expected incoming players.

VERBAL COMMITMENTS

Mark Jackson Jr. — DE, Steele (Cibolo)

Jackson has been committed to A&M for some time, but has recently taken trips to Texas, Baylor and Oklahoma as well. He has stayed verbally committed to A&M for now, but the race has been heating up for him. Texas has made a strong push for him, and he has taken one official and one unofficial visit to Austin since committing to A&M. The 6-foot-2, four-star recruit possesses a combination of size and strength at 221 pounds that terrifies most linemen who try to guard him. He has a knack for keeping his eye on the ball wherever it may go, and wreaks havoc in the backfield, putting pressure on quarterbacks to hurry their throws and stuffing the run. His footwork and ability to get off blocks makes him a Von Miller-esque type of player. It remains to be seen where he will actually end up, but he should ultimately sign on the dotted line next week to play for A&M.

UP FOR GRABS

Quartney Davis — WR, Langham Creek (Houston)

If you name it, this kid can probably do it. Originally committed to A&M, Davis de-committed in December to explore his options amid the transfer drama happening at the time. Since then, he has received offers from Georgia, Tennessee and Oklahoma, among others. He has officially visited Ole Miss and Oklahoma State and will be taking an official visit to A&M this weekend. He has impressive hands to go alongside some blistering speed. In two years, he posted 1,862 yards and 18 touchdowns, with two kickoff returns for touchdowns. He can burn secondaries and has potential to create nightmares for SEC defensive coordinators when teamed up with Christian Kirk. At 6-foot-2, 181 pounds, Davis could build a bit more muscle going into next year, but he might see the field quickly should he decide to commit to A&M. He would add another weapon in the return game to give Christian Kirk a rest, and gives whoever is under center for A&M another option from a stable of receivers. 

Jeffery McCulloch — OLB, Aldine Davis (Houston)

The four-star linebacker has Stanford, Notre Dame, Texas A&M, Michigan and Texas on his radar, but right now the favorite seems to be the Longhorns. McCulloch took a visit to College Station on Jan. 22, but after in-home visits with Charlie Strong, he is considered a lean toward Texas. In 2014, he produced 50 tackles and 19 sacks in the season, and his combination of speed and size makes him a difficult match up for any offensive lineman. He is quick off the line with impressive footwork and an ability to make tackles in space. He has some nice moves when rushing the passer and really keeps linemen on their heels for a lot of the game. Although he is considered a Texas lean, do not count Sumlin and the Aggies out entirely just yet — crazier things have happened on signing day.