Men’s and women’s tennis begin conference play Friday

Texas A&M tennis will return to action Friday when both the men and women begin conference play.
The men will have their first match of the weekend 6 p.m. Friday against Kentucky.
The No. 9 Aggies enter the match Friday fresh off of their upset win over No. 1 Oklahoma last week, which boosted them to a 4-1 record for the year.
It was freshman Arthur Rinderknech that stood out for A&M as he captured both a doubles win – alongside fellow freshman AJ Catanzariti — and the match clinching point late Friday evening.
As a result of Rinderknech’s performance, he was named SEC freshman of the week for the second time this spring.
The Wildcats (6-6) come into College Station having dominated their last two matches (4-0, 4-0) in a doubleheader last Sunday.
Following Friday evening’s Kentucky match, A&M will look ahead to its doubleheader that will take place Sunday at the Mitchell Tennis Center.
A&M will face Tennessee at noon, followed by Nicholls State at 4 p.m. The Aggies will hope to have their first weekend of tennis not affected by weather this time around, seeing how the past two weekends have included rain delays and cancellations.
The No. 18 women’s team hits the road this weekend for a couple SEC visits. Their first stop will come in Knoxville, Tennessee at 3 p.m. Friday.
The Volunteers (8-4) will also be playing in their first conference match of the year and will look to improve from last year when they finished 6th in the SEC.
The Aggies will get back on the road following their stay in Tennessee, setting their sights on No. 2 ranked Georgia.
A&M will face their second top-5 ranked team of the season noon Sunday. Earlier in the month, the women came close to defeating No. 3 ranked North Carolina, battling to the end only to fall 4-3 to the Tar Heels.
The Georgia Bulldogs (7-3) will hope to remain undefeated at home, where they are (3-0) on the season. Georgia is led by sophomore Caroline Brinson, who is undefeated in singles dual matches this spring.
Next weekend, the men will swing by Georgia and South Carolina, while the women stay in the Mitchell Tennis Center to face South Carolina and Florida.