Neil Jhurani, Sports Writer • May 23, 2024

A warm, summer evening bestowed Hoover, Alabama on Wednesday night when the No. 4 Texas A&M Aggies faced the No. 15 Mississippi State Bulldogs...

Men’s basketball tops Incarnate Word to open season, 97-83

The Texas A&M basketball team opened its season with a 97-83 victory in an exhibition game against the Cardinals of Incarnate Word.
“There were some good things tonight,” head coach Billy Kennedy said. “These guys are still trying to establish their roles and identities.”
In the first half, both teams played sloppy with turnovers and missed shots down in the paint. For the Aggies however, were led by first year Aggie Fabyon Harris used his speed in the transition game to lead all scorers with 28. Senior guard Elston Turner added 21 points while Kourtney Roberson chipped in a game-high 13 rebounds.
One area of note though was the play of the post players who are still developing under Kennedy’s system.
“It’s part of the rebuilding process,” Kennedy said of the Aggies’ post play.
While the Aggies struggled at times, A&M led 46-41 at the half.
One area of strength came from the free throw stripe as the Aggies shot 79% and out-rebounded the Cardinals 49-34.
It was a close game for much of the night as the Cardinals were not intimidated by the Aggies and were with them step-for-step most of the night. In the end however, the Aggies pulled away by playing stringent defense and scoring off of turnovers.
A&M opens the regular season on November 9th with a match against Louisiana Tech at Reed Arena. Tip off is set for 8 pm.