Men’s golf concludes fall season in California

The Texas A&M men’s golf team finished 11th at the Gifford Collegiate in Carlsbad, Calif., the last event in the fall season.

The Aggies were sitting in eighth place on Monday — sophomore Connor Black led for A&M and earned a share of tenth place at even par, while teammate Ben Crancer was in 17th place at one-over par.

“Connor and Ben played really solid golf today, but the other three guys really struggled on and around the green,” Texas A&M head coach J.T Higgins told 12thman.com. “We like the golf course and are getting more and more comfortable. We’re looking forward to the next two days and moving up the leaderboard.”

The team started off well on the second day of the tournament but encountered challenges that kept them from advancing past tenth place by the end of the day.

“We had a good front nine to put us in great shape but then played about as bad as you can play on the back,” Higgins told 12thman.com. “All our guys started to press which led to poor play that really hurt us. Now we’re in a tough spot and really have to play great tomorrow for us to have a decent showing.”

The Texas A&M men’s team finished the invitational in 11th place on the final day. Seniors Adria Arnaus and Ben Crancer led the Aggies in the final round of the invitational, earning a share of 20th place and 41st place respectively.

“It’s a disappointing way to end the fall but I saw a lot of good things out of this team before the last two days and I still think we have the makings of a strong squad,” Higgins said. “There is a lot to work on but we will be ready when the spring rolls around.”
The Aggies won’t be back in action again until Feb. 1 to open the spring season at The Sea Best Invitational in Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida.