Men’s golf finishes ninth at Golf Club of Georgia Collegiate

Photo by Courtesy of Clyde Click

Senior Cameron Champ was one of two amateurs to compete at the 2017 US Open this past summer. He began golfing at the age of two and is well on his way to going professional. 

Texas A&M men’s golf closed out their fall season with a ninth place finish at the Golf Club of Georgia Collegiate in Alpharetta, Ga., on Sunday. The Aggies finished the weekend at 13-under par with a total score of 851, two shots behind eighth place finishers Virginia. Oklahoma State won the tournament at 27-under par.
“Obviously, that was not the way we wanted the fall to end,” Head coach J.T. Higgins said to 12thman.com. “It goes to show you, that no matter how good a team you’ve got or how good a season you’re having, if you come to an event like this with so many good teams on a good golf course you’ve got to bring your best, physically and mentally. We didn’t do a very good job of that, especially today.”
Junior Chandler Phillips led the way for Texas A&M, finishing in a tie for seventh at six-under par, his 17th career top-10 finish. The All-American had a consistent weekend, firing rounds of 69, 71, and 70 over the three days. Phillips was only one of two players to record multiple eagles this week and he was tied for first in par 5 scoring.
Seniors Cameron Champ and Andrew Paysse ended the final round within one shot of each other at five and four-under par, finishing in a tie for 12th and 23rd, respectively. Champ jumped 29 spots on the leaderboard in round two after firing a six-under par round of 66, sinking an eagle putt on the 18th to close out his day. He also ended the week inside the top ten in both par 4 and par 5 scoring.
Rounding out the team were sophomores Brandon Smith (+7) and Josh Gliege (+11) who finished the tournament in 69th and 76th place.
“It’s disappointing, but we still shot 13-under par. So if that’s a bad week for us then I think we’re going to be ok,” Higgins added.
Texas A&M will not be in action again until after the winter break, when they will head to Tucson, Ariz., to compete in the Arizona Intercollegiate on Jan. 29-30.