Men’s golf lead Badger Invitational after two days

Photo by Photo via 12th Man

Sophomore Chandler Phillips finished tied for 127th at the NCAA Championships. 

The A&M Men’s Golf team tops the Badger Invitational scoreboard after two rounds of play at the University of Wisconsin Golf Course this past Sunday and Monday with another day of play left.
Texas A&M assistant coach, Brian Kortan, was pleased with how the Aggies began the tournament, but hopes they can improve on some areas in time for the final round.
“We’re two rounds into the golf tournament and have the lead, so we’re happy with that,” Kortan said to 12thman.com. “[We] hit a tougher stretch of holes and didn’t handle those very well…we need to clean that up, do better tomorrow and play all 18 holes.”
A&M brought six players to compete at the invitational, three of which are currently ranked in the top 10 on the players scoreboard. Junior All-American, Chandler Phillips who is currently 8-under par, shooting a total of 136 after 36 holes.
Phillips is currently tied for the number one spot on the player leaderboard along with Kansas’, Andy Spencer. Phillips shot three eagles and five bogeys in the first two rounds. Finishing under six the first round and under two for the second.
Freshman Reese Ramsey is tied for sixth place with Rutgers’ Toko Pedro. Ramsey is currently 4-under par, shooting a total of 140. Ramsey had a slower start than the rest of the Aggies with two bogeys in the first round in the first nine. Ramsey then finished his second round with an eagle in the ninth and four bogeys in both the back and front nine. Bringing him to the top 10 in player rankings.
Redshirt Sophomore, Brandon Smith is currently in a five-way tie for eighth place between players from Iowa State, UAB, Norte Dame and Marquette. Smith is 3-under par after shooting a total of 141 after two rounds. He shot an eagle in the first nine and ended his first round two under par with two bogeys in the first nine and a double bogey in the back nine.
This is the Aggies first time in Madison, but Head Coach, J.T. Higgins, is excited to see how the team responds on the road and is positive going into this season.
“We have never been to Madison, but the course and tournament get great reviews,” Higgins told 12thman.com. “The team looks strong so far in practice and we are eager to see how well that travels. Looking forward to a great season!”
The Aggies have a six-shot lead over opponent, Marquette (-10), while Kansas (-8), Norte Dame (-4), and Nevada and Iowa State (-2) are ranked in the top five. The Badger Invitational will conclude play Tuesday.