Men’s golf places 10th in SEC Championships

The Aggie men’s golf team (286,282,287) finished the tournament at 15-over par overall and shot seven-over during their final round on Sunday.

LSU won its first SEC Championship since 1987 after shooting 13-under par overall at the tournament. South Carolina and Vanderbilt finished in a tie for second after both programs finished at 10-under.  Rounding out the top-five were Alabama and Auburn, who both finished at seven-under par and finished tied for fourth.

Adrià Arnaus (72,68,70, E), the junior out of Barcelona, Spain, finished the highest among the A&M players in the individual standings. The Spaniard finished No. 22 after shooting an even par 70 during Sunday’s final round.

Senior Greg Yates (71,67,+2) also notched a spot in the top 30 after finishing in a tie for No. 27.

Junior Ben Crancer finished at No. 36 after shooting 4-over for the tournament and shot a final round 70.

Aggie head coach JT Higgins talked to 12thman.com after the final round.

“Today was like a replay of the first two days of the tournament,” Higgins said. “We were playing pretty good golf and then coming down the stretch we hit some balls into the water and had some three putts. We didn’t finish strong and those mistakes have haunted us all season. Even though we have worked hard to improve in all of those areas, it’s just not sticking. Today was disappointing because even though there was only so far we could have climbed on the leaderboard, I think we could have gotten a couple spots higher.”
Next up for the Aggies are the 2015 NCAA Golf Championships. The men will travel to Bradenton, Florida where the tournament will take place from May 29 to June 3.