Men’s golf places second, Lee takes victory at weekend tournament

Sophomore Walker Lee won the inaugural Maridoe intercollegiate Tournament.

No. 6 Texas A&M men’s golf was in Carrollton from Saturday to Monday competing in the inaugural Maridoe Intercollegiate.
On one of the more difficult courses in the state, the Aggies placed second at 35- over par (861), while sophomore Walker Lee won the event at 4-over par (214).
Lee finished one shot ahead of three other players to earn the second win of his colle- giate career. He was 4-over par after round one before firing two rounds of even par to finish the tournament.
“He came out playing really solid from the get-go, and somewhere around the turn, he realized he had a chance to win the golf tournament,” head coach JT Higgins told 12thman.com. “He hit some quality shots for the most part, kept the ball in play and the short game was amazing today. Hats off to him. That’s a great win on a really tough golf course against a really tough field.”
The sophomore won with a tap-in putt on the final hole of the tournament after a three-hour lightning delay. For the week, Lee was first in par 3 scoring (-2), sixth in par 5 scoring (-3) and third in total birdies (10).
The team finished in the top-two for their second consecutive tournament, after winning in Alabama at the Shoal Creek Invitational two weeks ago. Five Aggies finished in the top-30 this weekend, as A&M fired their best round of the tournament on Monday (+7, 287).
Freshman Sam Bennet and junior Dan Erickson both played solid golf all week, and each shot their best scores of the weekend — 3-over par 73 — in the final round. Bennet, who tied for 18th at 13-over par, now has two top-20 finishes to start his collegiate career and is averaging 72.83 strokes per round. With his final round score, Erickson jumped nine spots on the leaderboard and finished in a tie for 20th at 14-over par.
Reese Ramsey finished in a tie for 24th at 15-over par. The sophomore trended in the right direction all week, firing rounds of 78, 76 and 71, respectively. His 1-over par final round saw him jump 19 places on the leaderboard. Ramsey was top 10 in par 4 scoring for the week (+1).
Brandon Smith played well to start the tournament and found himself in a tie for fourth after two rounds of play. However, a disastrous 82 in the final round saw him fall from the top of the leaderboard into a tie for 30th at 16-over par. Even so, the junior was top-10 in both par 3 scoring (E) and total birdies (9) for the week.
Competing as an individual, management junior Josh Gliege finished in a tie for 66th at 28-over par.
The Aggies’ next tournament is Oct. 19-21 at the Golf Club of Georgia Collegiate in Alpharetta, Georgia.