Men’s golf seeks first SEC championship this weekend

Photo by Cody Franklin

Adria Arnaus at A&M’s Reveille Challenge

The Texas A&M men’s golf team will tee up in St. Simon Island, Georgia, Friday for the SEC Championships.

The men have not won a SEC Championship since the switch from the Big 12. No. 21 Alabama has claimed each title since A&M joined in 2012.

Until last weekend, the Aggies’ odds at the championships looked bleak as they did not have a top-three finish in a standard event. In 11 events, the Aggies had only seven top 10 finishes from an individual player.

But a late-season victory on their home course at the Reveille Challenge leaves room for optimism as the team heads east for the postseason. The Aggies came from six behind and then won by six strokes over second-place North Texas. Junior Andrew Lister did not give ground and won the individualist honors and was trailed closely by fellow teammates senior Greg Yates and freshman Andrew Paysse, who finished fourth and sixth, respectively.

No. 39 A&M will enter the weekend ranked behind eight SEC teams, five of which are inside the top-25, including No. 4 Vanderbilt, No. 6 Auburn, No. 8 South Carolina and No. 9 LSU. Six of the nation’s top 25 players represent SEC teams as well.

Championship play runs through Sunday.