Men’s golf tees up fall schedule in Wisconsin

Photo by Robert O’Brien

Texas A&M men’s golf coach Brian Kortan questions at a press conference at Kyle Field after returning to College Station following Sam Bennet’s win at the US Amateur Championship.

The Texas A&M men’s golf team is back in swing as they head to Madison, Wis., on Sunday, Sept. 11 for the Badger Invitational, the first tournament of the 2022 fall season.
Ranked No. 17 after the spring-only 2022 season, according to USA Today Golfweek, A&M may be poised to move up after fifth-year senior Sam Bennett won the U.S. Amatuer Champion title in August and Daniel Rodrigues competed for Portugal at the 32nd World Amateur Championship. The team also boasts 10 returning players on the roster including two seniors, according to 12thMan.com. The tournament runs Sept. 11-13.
On Thursday, Sept. 1, Bennett was named to the Fred Haskins Award Watch List. Filling out the maroon and white roster are seniors Junmin “Jimmy” Lee and William Paysse, juniors Matthew Denton, Evan Myers and Daniel Rodrigues and sophomores Dallas Hankamer, Michael Heidelbaugh, Phichaksn Maichon and Vishnu Sadagopan. Freshmen Jaime Montojo and Joe Stover round out the roster, according to 12thMan.com.
A key talent for the team, Bennett broke the school record for lowest stroke average at 69.97 and also placed top five in five tournaments in the 2021-22 season, according to 12thMan.com.
The Badger Invitational will be held at University Ridge, a 7,259-yard course designed by Robert Trent Jones Jr. in 1991. The front nine of the course is wide-open prairieland, but as the course progresses into the back nine, the course gets increasingly more difficult as the terrain changes from prairie to woodlands, according to UWBadgers.com.
For the most up-to-date information on A&M men’s golf, follow the Aggies on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram, according to 12thMan.com.