Men’s golf to host Reveille Challenge this weekend

Photo by Valerie Gunchick

Mickey Werenski chips the ball Saturday during the Aggie Invitational. 

The Texas A&M men’s golf team returns to its home course, the Traditions Club in Bryan, this Sunday to host the Reveille Challenge.

The challenge serves as A&M’s last opportunity to tune up its game prior to the SEC Championships next week.

Nine teams are expected to compete this Sunday, including several in-state programs such as the University of Houston, North Texas, Stephen F. Austin and Texas State.

Tournament play will feature 36 holes, all of which will be played on Sunday at the par 72, 7,146 yard Traditions course.

Last weekend, the Aggies walked away from their home course empty handed as they shot +16 (304) as a team in final round action of the Aggie Invitational to drop from first to fifth place.

The A&M golf team is ranked No. 41 in the nation as its prepares for the home stretch of the 2014-15 campaign. 

However, A&M does not have anything higher than a fourth-place finish this season in standard tournament play with fields of at least 12 teams.

Only one Aggie, senior Greg Yates, who won the Valspar Collegiate Invitational in March, owns an individual title this season. His victory was the third of his career.

The Aggies only possess four top-five individual finishes this season, two on which belong to junior Adrià Arnaus.

Arnaus and Yates are the highest-ranked Aggies, coming in to the weekend as No. 56 and No. 101, respectively, in the nation, and boasting A&M’s lowest scoring averages of 72.26 and 72.75.