Men’s hoops faces pivotal LSU game

Mens+Basketball
File
Men’s Basketball

From being the SEC favorite to what seems to be an uncontrollable tailspin down the SEC standings, Saturday’s rematch with LSU has become a “must win” for the Aggies if they are to keep pace with the rest of the conference.
The Aggies and Tigers last met in College Station one month ago, where the then-first place Aggies took advantage of a struggling LSU for a 71-57 win. The roles have reversed for Saturday’s match, as LSU fights for first place while the Aggies fight to stay alive.
A&M (18-6, 7-4 SEC)  will roll into Baton Rouge following a 63-62 loss at Alabama Wednesday evening. Jalen Jones led the Aggies with 21 points, while Danuel House and Anthony Collins added 12 points and 11 points, respectively; but after the trio, the Aggies could not find any production with another player adding more than six points.
Sloppy basketball has been a major reason for the Aggies’ current skid. In the last two games alone, the team has turned it over 30 times compared to just 27 assists.
A&M has continually struggled with defense on the perimeter. During the current three-game skid,  A&M has allowed opponents to shoot 44 percent from beyond the arc and has surrendered 74 points per game in those three losses.
They will have their hands full Saturday with the LSU (15-9, 8-3 SEC) three-point duo of Keith Hornsby and Tim Quarterman, who are shooting 41 percent and 36 percent, respectively, from three-point range this year.
And then there is the threat that is possible No. 1 NBA draft pick Ben Simmons. The freshman is averaging 19 points and 12 rebounds per outing, and will likely throw down a thunderous dunk or two for the home crowd. His versatility, length and speed present a host of problems and all eyes will be on him Saturday.
A win for either team keeps them in the thick of the SEC race, which is cloudy entering the latter half of the schedule.
The Aggies will be gunning for just their third win ever in Baton Rouge and a season sweep against the Tigers. Game time is set for noon and will be broadcast on CBS.