Incoming journalism professors Mariano Castillo and Flora Charner sit with former student and Battalion staff member Ken Sury at the FJSA Hall of Fame reception ceremony held in the J. Wayne Stark Galleries in the Memorial Student Center on Friday, April 19, 2024. (Hannah Harrison/The Battalion)
A&M welcomes new journalism professors from CNN, Dallas Morning News
Ana Renfroe and Stacy Cox April 19, 2024

At a ceremony honoring Aggie journalists, Texas A&M announced it will welcome three new journalism professors in the fall. New hires will...

Sophomore DB Jacoby Mattews (2) and sophomore DB Sam McCall (16) attempt to stop LSU WR Malik Nabers during Texas A&Ms game against LSU on Saturday, Nov. 25, 2023 at Tiger Stadium (Katelynn Ivy/The Battalion)
2024 NFL Draft: Ranking every first round-graded pass catcher
Mathias Cubillan, Sports Writer • April 22, 2024

As NFL defenses have found ways to stifle scoring opportunities and keep the lid on big plays, a bigger burden falls on the pass catchers for...

Members of the 2023-2024 Aggie Muster Committee pose outside the Jack K. Williams Administration Building. (Photo courtesy of Aggie Muster Committee)
Orchestrating a century-old tradition
Sydnei Miles, Head Life & Arts Editor • April 18, 2024

As Muster approaches, the Aggie Muster Committee works to organize a now century-old tradition. These students “coordinate every facet” of...

Texas A&M professor Dr. Christina Belanger teaches her Geology 314 class on Wednesday, April 3, 2024, in the Halbouty Geosciences Building. (CJ Smith/The Battalion)
Opinion: Stop beating the dead [virtual] horse
Eddie Phillips, Opinion Writer • April 22, 2024

Snow days were my favorite days of grade school. I would wake up extra early to stand in my living room to peer through the glass toward the...

Men’s Rugby hosts Red River conference opener against OU

Photo by Shalina Sabih, JOUR 359 Contributor.

Men’s rugby practices lifting in the open during play as part of team practice Oct. 6 at Penberthy Fields. 

The Texas A&M men’s rugby club will play at home for the first time this season under new head coach Luke Beauchamp on Oct. 14 against the University of Oklahoma.
Old Maroon side is 2-0 for 2023 and takes on OU at Penberthy Fields beginning at 2:30 p.m. The team won 55-14 against Air Force on Oct. 7 and 29-12 against The University of Colorado on Oct. 9. The team noted their use of “For Arizona and Airforce” motivated the Old Maroon side during the matches.
Junior Eric Hawkins said they were used to winning.
“[A] winning tradition, and we’ve always had the confidence,” Hawkins said.
Hawkins was named team captain alongside sophomore Alex Park, who was named vice-captain.
The men’s rugby club is one of the few club teams that offer scholarships, said Hawkins. He noted that last year the team had 35 members and this year they have added 25 new members for a total of 60 players this year.
A lot of this is thanks to their recruitment team, Hawkins said.
“We’ve got a lot of recruits with a lot of rugby experience, so that’s how we’re gonna find success this year,” Beauchamp said.
Other new aspects for the year include more refined coaching and team building practices, Beauchamp said.
The Aggies started the 2023-24 season ranked No. 17 in the Goff Report D1A National rankings.
“We constantly remind ourselves we’re together, and we’re a team and friends,” Park said.
Senior Abbas Bangash said teamwork is key.
“At the end of the day, it’s just us versus the opposition, so we just remind ourselves [to] stay calm and collected and we fight our battles together not against each other,” Bangash said.
Shalina Sabih is a journalism junior and contributed this piece from the course JOUR 359, Reporting Sports, to The Battalion.