Aggies a win away from Women’s College World Series after 6-5 victory over Longhorns

Men’s swim and dive dove into spring section of season against TCU

Photo by CJ Smith

Senior diving Takuto Endo preformes his Rev. 2 1/2 Ss Pike dive during Texas A&M’s swim meet against UIW on Friday, Sept. 29, 2023 at Rec Center Natatorium. (CJ Smith/The Battalion)

The second half of Texas A&M’s men’s swimming and diving team started on Saturday, Jan. 13 with a meet against Texas Christian University at the Horned Frogs’ own University Rec Center in Fort Worth. 

Going into the meet, the No. 6 ranked Aggies were 6-0.

The Maroon and White first found success with sophomore Baylor Nelson finishing first in the 1,000-yard free with a time of 9:04.41.

Next up was the 200-yard freestyle competition, and the first Aggie to finish was senior Carter Nelson with a third-place finish of 1:38.81. 

The 100-yard backstroke had two Aggies take the top two spots, with senior Thomas Shomper and junior Tyler Hulet finishing first and second with times of 47.59 and 48.15, respectively. 

A&M had freshman Logan Brown and senior Alex Sanchez finish third with a time of 54.63 and fourth with a time of 55.08 in the 100y breaststroke. 

The next two competitions, the 200y butterfly and the 50-yard free, had the first Aggie finish second in both races. Junior Trey Dickey finished the 200y butterfly with a time of 1:47.37 and junior Clayton Conklin in the 50y free with a time of 20.85. 

The 100y freestyle had junior Seth Reno finish with a time of 44:58 on his way to first place, and freshman Ben Scholl was right behind him as he finished second with a time of 44:97. 

Shomper and Hulet followed their first and second-place win in the 100y backstroke with another first and second palace finish in the 200y backstroke with times of 1:43.97 and 1:45.81. 

Brown finished second in the 200y breaststroke at the 1:58.34 mark,  junior Munzy Kabbara finished right behind him with a time of 1:59.50 and Baylor finished third with a time of 2:00.40. 

The Aggies finished first and third in the 500-yard freestyle, with Dickey finishing with a time of 4:28.51 and sophomore Batuhan Filiz finishing at the 4:30.14 mark. 

Another first and second-place finish for the Aggies occurred during the 100y butterfly as sophomore Conner Forte got to the wall first at the 46.90 mark. 

The 3-meter had four Aggies finish in the top four spots with scores of 427.1, 372.1, 359.1 and 348.75 from seniors Victor Povzner and Takuto Endo, and juniors Rhett Hensley and Allen Bottego. 

The 200y individual medley was where Baylor finished first at the 1:47.84 mark and Lannara followed right behind him at the 1:48.23 mark. 

Povzner added onto his first-place win in the 1-meter with another win in the 3m with a score of 390.85. 

A&M closed things out with a win in the 200y freestyle relay race thanks to sophomore Conner Foote, Baylor, Carter and Reno winning with a time of 1:19.96. 

Up next for the Aggies is a dual meet against LSU on Saturday, Jan. 20 that starts at 10 a.m.