Men’s swim and dive takes victory in double dual meet against Texas, Georgia Tech

Photo by Lily Salazar-Balli, JOUR 359 Contributor

A&M’s Baylor Nelson leads the pack in the 400 IM during the Nov. 3 meet against UT and Georgia Tech at the Rec Center Natatorium.

The No. 13 Texas A&M men’s swimming and diving team secured two victories on Friday, Nov. 3, defeating No. 6 Texas 143-119 and No. 23 Georgia Tech 189-111.

A thrilling start to the evening meet brought a win in the 400-yard medley relay with the team of sophomore Baylor Nelson, freshman Logan Brown, sophomore Connor Foote and senior Collin Fuchs recording a 3 minutes, 08.35 second finish.

Nelson set up another individual win streak, placing first in the 200-meter free (1:33.97), the 200m back (1:42.34) and the 400-meter IM (3:46.13).

Foote earned the top spot in the 50-meter free (19.92) and the 100-meter fly (46.01), setting his best times for those events this season.

Meanwhile, senior Alex Sanchez dominated in the breaststroke, placing first in both the 100m breast (52.86) and 200m breast (1:54.76). Brown finished third in both the 100m and 200m breast.

Foote, Fuchs, junior Trey Dickey and senior Carter Nelson finished off the meet strong with a 1:19.68 in the 200m free relay, securing a third-place finish.

The Aggies dominated on the springboards, grabbing first-place finishes on both the 1-meter and 3-meter. Junior Allen Bottego secured first on the 1m with a score of 364.73, while senior Victor Povzner earned first on the 3m board scoring a 431.18.

The victory against Texas marks back-to-back top 10 wins, as well as the first time the Aggies have beaten the Longhorns since Nov. 3, 2017.

“Since 1962, Nov. 3, 2017 is the only time we had beaten [Texas] in a dual meet,” coach Jay Holmes said. “Now, six years from that date, we got another one done.”

On Saturday morning, A&M competed against Georgia Tech in an unscored long course meet.

Looking to earn their final victory of the regular season, the Aggies will host the Art Adamson Invitational in the Rec Center Natatorium on Nov. 14-17.

Keep up to date with the team by following @AggieSwimDive on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter/X.

Lily Salazar-Balli is a telecommunication media studies senior and contributed this from the course JOUR 359, Reporting Sports, to The Battalion.