Men’s swimming and diving defeats FAU

The Texas A&M men’s swimming and diving team racked up their second win of the season Thursday with a score of 121 to 95 over Florida Atlantic. It would be the first meet of two this weekend for the Aggies.
“It was good seeing our team committing to the race in a new, outdoor setting,” Aggie head coach Jay Holmes said. “We used this meet as a chance to put some guys in different situations that might come up later in the season.”
A&M jumped out to a hot start with the help of their upperclassmen. Juniors Jacob Wallace and Alexandros Theocharidis aided the 200 medley relay team to first place. With a time of 9:41.51, senior Hayden Duplechain was on top of all other swimmers in the 1000 free.
Although it was the Owls season opener, they had quite a few first place finishers as well. The Aggies momentum was halted because Matthieu Burtez clocked in with a 1:40.72 200 yard free.
The underclassmen divers Tyler Henschel and Zachary Stockton for A&M continued to excel with their second straight top two finishes in both the one and three-meter springboard. Henschel was on top in both with scores of 357.97 and 403.12.
The underclassmen Aggies also enjoyed some success. Freshman Duncan Mulleady scored his first victory for A&M with a 51.27 100 back. Jacob Gonzales and Gonzalo Corazo added to the campaign with victories in the 50 free and the 200 IM.
The Aggies will remain in Florida and take on Indian River State College at 11 a.m. on Saturday. The team’s training will take place in Fort Pierce, Fla. on Friday. Indian River State College claimed the NJCAA title in the 2013-14 season.