Men’s tennis clinches SEC champion honors, will finish regular season Saturday

The No. 7 A&M men’s tennis team clinched the SEC regular season championship Thursday when it swept the No. 24 LSU Tigers, 4-0, in Baton Rouge.

The win for the Aggies (18-3, 11-1 SEC) was the 10th in a row as the SEC tournament is now on the horizon. The momentum built by the men’s squad is due in large part to the play of freshman AJ Catanzariti, who clinched the match Thursday with a 7-5, 6-2 win over his Tiger opponent.

A&M will travel at 1 p.m. Saturday to Fort Worth to wrap up the regular season with the team against which it kicked the season off, the No. 10 TCU Horned Frogs.

The last time the Frogs and Aggies met, it was TCU (18-6, 2-2 Big 12) who came away with the 4-2 victory in College Station. Since the season opener, the Aggies have seen improvement from the bottom of their lineup and will be a different team than they were in January.

Following their match Saturday, the Aggies will look forward to the SEC tournament hosted in College Station where they will hold the No. 1 seed when it begins April 17.

While the men take to the road, the women will stay home to host their final two conference matches of the season before the SEC tournament.

The A&M women’s team (13-4, 9-2 SEC) will return home after defeating the No. 7 Baylor Bears Wednesday. After trailing 1-3, the Aggies fought back to finish off a 4-3 victory that completed a two-game sweep of the Bears this season.

Looking ahead, the Aggies will host two ranked teams this weekend — No. 8 Vanderbilt and No. 21 Kentucky.

First up on Friday afternoon will be the Commodores (15-5, 10-1 SEC), who boast a six-match conference win streak. On Sunday, A&M will welcome Kentucky (15-9, 6-4 SEC) at noon. The Wildcats will enter College Station having dropped their last three matches, including their final home match versus South Carolina. In their past three matches, the Wildcats have only managed to record two points and have been outscored 12-2.

Following this weekend, the A&M women will look ahead to the SEC tournament held at South Carolina starting April 17.