Men’s tennis competes at SEC Fall Tournament

Photo by Photo by Ana Casas

Senior Jordi Arconada and his doubles partner Junior Kevin Lam fell to a team from Texas Tech in the 2017 ITA Regional Championships final last weekend at the George P. Mitchell Tennis Center.

The SEC Men’s Fall Tennis Tournament begins on Friday, Oct. 27 in Fayetteville, Arkansas and ends on Monday, Oct. 30. Conference foes will face off against one another in this tournament and could be a preview of what is to come in the spring season.
The A&M tennis team has been solid this season and had a strong showing at the ITA Texas Regional this past week.
Junior Kevin Lam and Senior Jordi Arconada finished the week with a record of 4-1 as they defeated teams from Rice, UTRGV, Baylor and Texas. However, the duo fell short in the final as they lost to Jackson Cobb and Alexander Sendegeya of Texas Tech in two sets (6-4, 6-2).
On the way to the final, Arconada and Lam defeated Rodrigo Banzer and Leonardo Telles of Texas in three sets (4-6, 6-4, 16-14). The Aggie team tried to make a valiant comeback against the Red Raiders team, but fell short in their efforts.
The Aggies hope to use the SEC Fall Invitational to show what they are capable of in SEC play. One team to look out for are the Tennessee Volunteers as they were very successful in the Ohio Valley Regionals. A key player is Timo Stodder, a junior from Berlin, Germany. Stodder is a team-leading 10-3 for the fall and reached the final of the Ohio Valley Regionals. He is also ranked No. 17 nationally.
On deck for the Aggies is the Oracle/ITA National Championships in Indian Wells, California from Wednesday, Nov. 1 through Sunday Nov. 5.