Texas A&M pitcher Evan Aschenbeck (53) throws a pitch during Texas A&M’s game against Florida at the NCAA Men’s College World Series semifinal at Charles Schwab Field in Omaha, Nebraska on Sunday, June 19, 2024. (Hannah Harrison/The Battalion)
Aggies defeat Gators 6-0 to advance to first College World Series finals
Kolton Becker, Sports Writer • June 20, 2024

There’s always a first for everything.  For the first time in program history, Texas A&M baseball is headed to the Men’s College...

Men’s tennis extends winning streak to 11 after defeating Alabama and Ohio State

Photo by Photo by: Morgan Engel

Sophomore Arthur Rinderknech stretches to return the ball. 

It was another dominant weekend for men’s tennis as it continued to defy expectations, starting the weekend with a Friday victory against Alabama in Tuscaloosa. The 11th-ranked Aggies swept the Crimson Tide 4-0, as Alabama had little success throughout the match.

A&M won a tightly contested doubles match, as Alabama’s Spencer Richey and Mazen Osama defeated Arthur Rinderknech and Max Lunkin 6-1. But a late rally from Aleksandre Bakshi and Hady Habib evened it up, as they won 6-4. Aj Catanzariti and Jordi Arconada clinched it for the Ags, knocking off Edson Ortiz and Zhe Zhou 6-3.

The Maroon and White made quick work of Alabama in singles play, as they swept all remaining matches. Rinderknech, Vacherot, and Bakhsi all enjoyed easy victories.

“We just need to keep focusing on trying to improve in some different areas and that has to be our continued focus,” Aggies head coach Steve Denton told 12thman.com.

Next the Ags returned home to College Station for what proved to be an intense matchup against No. 2 Ohio State. A&M won the day 4-3 after sophomore Aleksandre Bakshi clinched it.

The Aggies dropped the doubles point to start the match for the 10th time this season. But Hady Habib put A&M on the board with his sixth straight victory. Ohio State struck back, as Arthur Rinderknech was defeated by No. 1 Mikael Torpegaard 6-2, 6-4. Arconada evened the score again, winning in three sets as the two teams continued trading punches.

Valentin Vacherot gave the Aggies their first lead of the match, as he won a pair of tiebreakers 7-6(1), 7-6(4). Bakshi clinched it for the Ags after dropping the first set. He went on to win 7-5, 6-3. A&M has now won an SEC-best 11 matches. The Aggies host Tennessee at  home this Thursday followed by a slate of weekend matches.