Men’s tennis faces three ranked opponents, and women travel to Mississippi

Cody Franklin

AJ Catanzariti earned SEC freshman of the week for last week’s play.

The Texas A&M men’s tennis team will return home this weekend to host three matches against ranked opponents, while the women travel to Mississippi for a pair of conference matches.

The No. 7 A&M men’s team (11-3, 6-1 SEC) is currently riding a three game-winning streak spurred along by freshman AJ Catanzariti. He was named SEC freshman of the week Wednesday morning following his impressive showing on the road this past weekend.

In Friday’s win at Alabama, Catanzariti won his first match from the four-line and moved to 2-0 against ranked opponents so far this season. Catanzariti joined Arthur Rinderknech, who has earned freshman of the week honors twice for A&M this season.

A&M looks ahead to its first match at 6 p.m. Friday against the No. 53 Arkansas Razorbacks (11-9, 1-5 SEC). The weekend for the men’s team will be capped off by a doubleheader Sunday when they welcome No. 13 Ole Miss and No. 74 UTSA (12-6) to the Mitchell Tennis Center.

The Rebels (12-5, 4-2 SEC) feature Nik Scholtz, who was just named SEC player of the week. The first match will take place at 12 p.m. and UTSA will follow at 4 p.m.

The Aggie women’s team recently climbed the rankings, jumping from No. 30 to the No. 15 team in the nation. The jump was well justified, as the Aggies knocked off two top-10 ranked teams in the past week.

A&M (8-4, 5-2 SEC) almost made it three top-10 defeats Tuesday night when it hosted the No. 5 Florida Gators. After forcing a deciding tiebreak, the Aggies fell to the Gators 4-3, snapping their five-game win streak.

This weekend, the Aggies will travel to the state of Mississippi where they will make stops in Starkville and Oxford. First up at 3 p.m. Friday will be the Mississippi State Bulldogs (13-5, 3-4 SEC) who will be looking to get back on track at home after dropping their last two conference matches.
The Ole Miss Rebels (11-6, 0-2 SEC) will host the Aggies at 12 p.m. Sunday in Oxford. The Rebels are led by senior Julia Jones who has earned All-SEC honors in her time at Ole Miss.