Aggies a win away from Women’s College World Series after 6-5 victory over Longhorns

Men’s tennis plagued by weather once again, women win conference opener

The Texas A&M men’s tennis team began conference play Friday with a win over the visiting Kentucky Wildcats, 4-0.
For the sixth straight match, the Aggies secured the doubles point. The No. 22 doubles team of Jeremy Efferding and Jordan Szabo captured the first set (6-2). Then, it was the freshman pairing of AJ Catanzariti and Arthur Rinderknech that sealed the deal (6-3) and sent the team to singles play.
Head coach Steve Denton spoke of the performance of his team so far this season.
“This team is pretty deep,” Denton said. “We have had some success in our doubles which is getting us off to a good start, and then obviously we are riding the confidence of some good wins here recently and we play pretty well at home.”
The stout doubles play carried over well for A&M as they captured the first set on all six singles courts. Within an hour of singles play, the Aggies had swept the Wildcats (6-7) behind wins from No. 66 Jeremy Efferding (6-1, 6-0), No. 88 AJ Catanzariti (6-1, 6-2) and Max Lunkin (6-4, 6-0).
With another conference match approaching, Denton looked ahead to Sunday.
“This is a big weekend for us,” Denton said. “Obviously Tennessee coming in on Sunday is going to be a big test for us. They have what has been the number one doubles team in college tennis here in this last year and they are going to be a tough team. It’s going to be a big battle for us, we’re going to have to come with our ‘A’ game.”
Unfortunately, after the Aggies got off to a hot start and topped the Volunteers in doubles, play was suspended for the night due to weather. A&M left the courts with a 1-0 lead on Tennessee and looks to resume the match Monday no earlier than 10 a.m.
The Texas A&M women began conference play on a positive note Friday when it shutout Tennessee, 7-0.
The Aggies dominated the home team, not losing a single set and only allowing one forced tie break. The doubles team of Ines Deheza and Stefania Hristov made slight work of their opponents, winning 8-0.
Head coach Howard Joffe was optimistic following the Aggies match.
“Our ladies competed hard and played better as the evening wore on” Joffe said. “And I am very confident that our best tennis lies ahead.”
Although the Aggies (3-3) started strong by winning the doubles point, they went on to fall to the No. 2 Georgia Bulldogs Sunday, 2-4.
The women will return to action Friday when they host the South Carolina Gamecocks.