Men’s tennis split two matches while women win both

Photo by Photo by: Jena Floyd

Freshman Domenica Gonzalez in singles action.

Both the No. 7 Texas A&M men’s tennis team and No. 16 women’s team had two conference matches each this weekend.

The men’s tennis team headed into Fayetteville to take on the Razorbacks then headed south to into Mississippi to battle the Ole Miss Rebels.

In Arkansas, the doubles point was earned by the Aggies with wins on the first and second court. The score quickly turned in favor of the Aggies, 1-0.

During the rest of the afternoon, the single matches told a different story. Texas A&M suffered losses in the first five courts. The Aggies had a win on the sixth court, but that was not enough to beat the Razorbacks. The final score was a 5-2 loss for A&M.

On Sunday afternoon, the Aggies also trailed the Rebels after losing the doubles point.

Jackson Withrow later performed at a key moment in singles as he was the first Aggie on the board with a win over Grey Hamilton. The score was then tied at one apiece.  Harrison Adams followed with another win for the Aggies as well as Shane Vinsant on the second court.

Jordi Arconada later won his singles match and clinched the win for Texas A&M on court number three.

The final on the day for men’s tennis was 4-1 win over the Rebels.

Despite losing their first match this weekend, the Aggie men’s tennis team have now improved their conference record to 3-1.

Back in College Station, the No. 16 Aggie women’s tennis team battled the Mississippi State Bulldogs and then the Ole Miss Rebels for their two conference matches.

On Friday, Texas A&M showed their dominance through doubles as they did not allow Mississippi State a single court victory. All six Aggies defeated all six Bulldogs and the score quickly turned to 1-0 A&M.

In singles, the first four courts were won by Aggies Saska Gavrilovska, Rutuja Bhosale, Rachel Pierson and Domenica Gonzalez respectively. This was another win for the No. 16 Aggies as they improved their conference record to 2-1.

Sunday was a tougher match for the women’s tennis team.

Texas A&M did not earn the doubles point as they dropped two losses on the first and second courts 6-3 and 6-1.

Although the Aggies lost the doubles point, Texas A&M rebounded and had crucial wins in singles. There were victories on the first, third, fourth, and sixth courts to hand the Rebels their loss by an overall score of 4-3.

The Aggie women’s tennis team had two wins over the weekend and are now 3-1 in conference.
The women are back on the road Thursday against Vanderbilt while the men play Friday against Tyler JC and Mississippi State in College Station.