Men’s tennis takes on No. 15 Columbia to start ITA Indoor tournament

Photo by Cody Franklin
Tennis SEC Chamionship (10)

As the Aggies men’s tennis defeated No. 13 South Florida and St. Edward’s University, Texas A&M has its sights on continuing their success at the 2016 ITA Indoor National Championships this weekend.

The Aggies will face the No. 15 Columbia Lions in the first round of the ITA Indoor Championships Friday at 11 a.m in Charlottesville, Virginia. The tournament continues over the weekend and concludes on Monday.

“Our team is deep this year and we got tested these last three matches and we came through in all three of them,” sophomore A.J. Catanzariti said. “[I’m] playing pretty well, playing pretty solid.”

The Aggies’ most recent victories proved to be crucial for A&M as they managed to remain ahead of the University of South Florida by an overall score of 4-3. The Aggies finished the meet by claiming a forceful shutout over St. Edward’s University to win 7-0.

Undefeated since the start of the new year, No. 3 A&M heads to the east coast in search of more court control. Texas A&M head coach Steve Denton said that the players have had the ITA Indoor tournament on their minds since the season started.

“Making the round of 16 at the best indoor tournament allows us to see where we are at and find out what we need to keep working on as we move closer to the SEC schedule and then the NCAA Tournament,” Denton said. “A&M was able to leave their mark on both the instate opponent St. Edwards and out of state South Florida.”

Columbia has shown a striking record winning their last four matches. Minnesota, Stanford, North Florida, and Navy. Columbia senior Shawn Hadavi and junior Richard Pham had a sweep of their last opponent in doubles. These matches assisted Columbia’s record to 4-0 this spring.

Catanzariti said he is looking forward to the challenge presented by No. 15 Columbia.

“I think we’ll do pretty well against them but we’ll see,” Catanzariti said.

The first round of the 2016 ITA Indoor National Championships is set to start Feb. 12 at 11 a.m. in Charlottesville, Virginia. The meet concludes Monday.