Men’s tennis tops No. 4 Baylor, improves to 5-0

Tennis
Photo by File
Tennis

The No. 3 Texas A&M men’s tennis team stayed perfect Wednesday after a big 4-2 win on the road over No. 4 Baylor.

The Aggies’ streak improved to 5-0 after their road win in Waco as they continued to climb toward the top spot in the country before they head to the ITA National Indoor Championships in the middle of February.
The Aggies won a crucial doubles point early in the match to grab the lead and take the momentum. They did so off of wins from their second and third teams including sophomore Arthur Rinderknech and senior Jackson Withrow with a 6-1 win and a 6-4 win from junior Max Lunkin and sophomore Jordi Arconada.

Going into singles, Baylor made a valiant effort for the comeback by winning two of the first matches, but in the end the Aggies were able to get the three wins they needed to stay alive and win the match. They did so despite a surprising loss by their number one singles player and 5th best in the nation in Rinderknech.

In the end, it was their depth that kept them in contention. 29th ranked Shane Vinsant got the 6-4, 6-4 win followed by a 6-2, 6-4 win from Jackson Withrow. To round out the victory for the Aggies came with a tiebreaker win from AJ Catanzariti.

As Baylor dropped to 5-1 after they suffered their first loss of the season, the win for A&M kept their hot streak alive as they head back to College Station to take on UT Rio Grande Valley. They remain at home to take on SEC west neighboring Ole Miss on Saturday.