Men’s track win invitational ahead of Texas, women finish second behind Longhorns.

Photo by Photo By: Kathryn Perez

Texas A&M finished 2nd in the Men’s 4x400m Relay on Saturday December 12.

The Texas A&M Team Invitational had the Men’s Aggie Track & Field program lifted to great heights Saturday as it finished with a 146 point first place rout over second place Texas, who finished at 87.50, and BYU, who followed with a 72.50 score.

After hosting the smaller-program Texas A&M 13 Team Invitational early Friday, the Aggies suited up for the competitive Texas A&M Team Invitational meet scheduled Friday evening and Saturday at the Gilliam Indoor Stadium. For A&M’s men’s team, both field and running events finished with three first place finishes, while the women’s team took away a single victory in both factions of the event.

The Aggie men’s performance can be summed up by Deon Hickey’s stellar photo finish in the 400 meter finals. Hickey managed to edge out a total of 12 opponents within one second following his 47.45 second finish. Two of whom were the Aggies’ own Robert Grant, who finished sixth, and Hector Hernandez, who finished thirteenth.

The men’s pole vaulting final was dominated by the Aggies who took the top four best jumps from the event overall.

Jacob Wooten placed first and third in his jumps. Audie Wyatt placed second and fourth in her jumps which led to a lopsided A&M performance.

Among the other first place finishers for the men were Samuel McSwain in the high jump, Devin Jenkins in the 200 meter, Donavan Brazier in the 800 meter, and Latario Collie, who had an impressive finish in triple jump over Texas’ Nick Phynn.

The Aggie women’s track & field program had a bit more difficulty in the team invitational. In the women’s division the only first place field event finish was held by Alison Ondrusek in the weight throw final. Carissa van Beek followed her in second place enabling A&M to earn the top two spots in the event. Aaliyah Brown’s efforts in the 200 meter earned her the only gold medal for all of the Aggie women in running events. A&M’s women’s team finished second behind Texas, 92.75 to 122.50.
Texas A&M track & field will return to compete in the Texas A&M Quadrangular on Saturday, January 23. Meet events are scheduled to begin at 12:00 PM at the Gilliam Indoor Stadium in College Station.