Texas A&M infielder Kaeden Kent (3) celebrates a home run during Texas A&M’s game against Tennessee at the NCAA Men’s College World Series finals at Charles Schwab Field in Omaha, Nebraska on Saturday, June 22, 2024. (Hannah Harrison/The Battalion)
Winning 9 to 5: A&M beats Tennessee in Game 1 of College World Series finals
Luke White, Sports Editor • June 23, 2024

While Texas A&M baseball had never appeared in the College World Series finals before Saturday, the Aggies played as if they were seasoned...

Middleton continues impressive streak, Bucks and Clippers now down in series

Khris Middleton and DeAndre Jordan now face tough tasks: battling their way back into their series.

Middleton’s Bucks lost again in game two to the Bulls putting them down 0-2. The shooting guard led the team again in scoring, tallying 22 points and also grabbing 6 rebounds. In game 3, Middleton scored 18 points and had 7 assists. Although he didn’t lead the team in scoring, he scored 8 points in the final 1:40 of regulation including a jumper with 10.8 seconds left to help Milwaukee regain the lead. The team fell in double overtime and are now stuck in a hole down three games to none.

Jordan and the Clippers fell just short in game two against the Spurs losing 111-107 in overtime. Jordan earned a double-double after scoring 20 points and grabbing a game-high 15 rebounds. In game three, the Clippers were blown out, so Jordan only played 30 minutes. The center scored 10 points and grabbed eight rebounds.

San Antonio used what most call “Hack-a-Jordan” at various points throughout the game. They intentionally fouled Jordan to send him to the free throw line, where he struggles most.

Jordan shot 6-for-17 from the line in game 2, but although he missed seven consecutive at one point, the Clippers rebound 21 percent of free throws that Jordan misses. San Antonio leads the series 2-1 now, so “Hack-a-Jordan” could continue to be a strategy for Gregg Popovich and the Spurs.

The center finished in third place for the NBA Defensive Player of the Year award behind Draymond Green and the winner, Kawhi Leonard.

Head coach of the Clippers, Doc Rivers, talked in March how he felt about Jordan and the award.

“If anybody else gets that award, we need to have an investigation,” Rivers said at a press conference.

All-Star point guard Chris Paul discussed how Jordan’s performances and reasons to win the award go beyond just stats.

“You look at the stat sheet and you don’t see how many times [Chicago Bulls point guard] Aaron Brooks didn’t drive because [DeAndre Jordan] was there, or how many shots where guys went up and they passed it,” Paul said in March. “That doesn’t show up on the stat sheet.”
The Bucks will try to save their sweep Saturday while the Clippers will try to even the series Sunday.