Movers and Shakers

Its the first of January and for soccer fans it only means one thing the January transfer window! Since its beginnings in the 2003/04 season, it has always provided some much needed excitement for the New Year. It is a great addition to the soccer calendar, letting teams at the bottom to add to their squad, allowing teams to replace injured players, give young players a chance of securing a loan to a championship club and can revive careers with loan deals for half a season. Here is a look into what the major teams need to strengthen their squad in the January window.
Manchester United
Manchester United has secured the lottery with the purchase of Robin Van Persie from Arsenal. He has been instrumental in Man Utds goals and also has turned provider when necessary. If they do need anything, it is a defensive midfielder who has a strong physical presence. But, from Sir Alexs words, they may not buy anyone this January and this is probably because Darren Fletcher will return and that Tom Cleverley will get to play more.
Chelsea
Chelsea has secured the signing of Demba Ba from Newcastle United. It seems to be a very good move, as Ba is a proven goal scorer in the Premier League, very unselfish, physical, can play behind a striker and can play alone too. With the kind of midfield that plays for Chelsea, you can expect tons of goals from this Chelsea team and some great attacking play. This may just be the signing hat take Chelsea up the table.
Liverpool
Liverpool has slowly but surely crept up the table and Luis Suarez has been important in this. They have also secured the signing of Daniel Sturridge and this offers Brendan Rodgers an option to play him instead of Raheem Sterling or to play Suarez on the left and Sturridge through the center. It is also expected that Fabio Borini will return and this could be a good addition to the squad. In Lucas Leiva, Joe Allen, Steven Gerrard and Nuri Sahin, Liverpool has a good center midfield and this signing of Sturridge is going to be a great one. Also, Liverpool has been linked with Tom Ince, the Blackpool winger and with Jack Butland, a goalie.
Manchester City
It doesnt look like City needs any strengthening, but they have been interested in offloading Mario Balotelli and Joleon Lescott. It will be interesting to see how they replace Yaya Toure and Kolo Toure who go to the African Cup of Nations.
Everton
Everton usually kick start their campaign at this stage of the season. But they have had a great first half of the season and will be looking to kick-on from here. It will be a relief for Everton if they can keep hold of Marouane Fellaini and Leighton Baines.
Tottenham Hotspur
Spurs have successfully managed to get Lewis Holtby from Schalke on a pre-contract. Considering his ability, getting him on a free transfer was a brilliant bit of business for the Spurs. Emmanuel Adebayor will be leaving for the African Cup but they have suitable backup with Clint Dempsey and Gylfi Sigurdsson. Also the return of Scott Parker is a big bonus and this will only strengthen the squad. They have also been linked with David Villa, Yann MVila and Willian, but it is highly unlikely that they will join Spurs.
Arsenal
Arsenal has already started the transfer window on a positive note with the clearance of Johan Djourou and Marouane Chamakh. Andrei Arshavin has been linked with a move to Reading. It has also been heard that Sebastian Squillaci wants to move back to France and Andre Santos to Fenerbahce. But the news that all Gooners are waiting for is whether David Villa will leave Barcelona to join Arsenal and whether Theo Walcott will stay in Arsenal. Arsenal has also been looking for a defensive midfielder and a left back, with Luke Shaw and Mohammed Diame linked with joining Arsenal.
Let the games begin!