Muffled the Mean Green

A six-run second inning powered an A&M run-rule win
Photo by Hannah Harrison
Julia Cottrill (42) celebrating a double during Texas A&M’s game against Southeastern Louisiana on Thursday, Feb. 22, 2024 at Davis Diamond. (Hannah Harrison/The Battalion)

Early pitching woes gave Texas A&M softball all the momentum needed to defeat the University of North Texas, 11-1, in a matchup on Wednesday, April 17.

Sophomore RHP Mackenzie Childers threw the first pitch at Lovelace Stadium to open the first inning. Childers quickly allowed four walks, allowing the Aggies to strike the scoreboard first with a run from sophomore 2B Amari Harper.

An adjustment from North Texas coach Rodney DeLong put junior RHP Skyler Savage in the circle. Senior 1B Trinity Cannon’s RBI groundout plated a second run for A&M.

In the bottom of the first inning, junior RHP Emily Leavitt struck out senior LF Lexi Cobb and senior DP Mikayla Smith, leaving junior SS Cierra Simon stranded.

The Aggies put the game out of reach for the Mean Green with a stellar second inning performance. Sophomore 3B Kennedy Powell landed the first A&M hit of the day with a bunt single. An obstruction call brought her to second base.

Senior CF Jazmine Hill hit an RBI single, adding to the Aggies’ lead as Powell scored. Senior C Julia Cottrill added to the momentum after she doubled to left center, allowing two more scores from Hill and Eschete, who walked.

Cannon set Cottrill up to score after she singled to the shortstop, increasing the A&M lead to 6-0. Junior RF Allie Enright sealed the inning with a two-run homer to right field, marking her 10th long ball of the season.

North Texas found its first hit at the bottom of the second inning when senior 1B Kailey Gamble singled to right field.

Defense was the response from the Mean Green at the top of the third as they held the Aggies hitless. Senior RF Molly Rainey came up with a big stop when she ran into the fence to snag a foul ball.

Another leaping grab followed by senior 2B Morgan Medford to end the inning and lock in on the Mean Green’s defense.

The Aggies dominated the top of the fourth inning and snagged three additional runs to close out the ball game. After sophomore LF Keely Williams’ leadoff single, Cottrill belted a two-run shot to the deepest part of the park. Cannon followed with her team-high 11th homer of the season to push A&M to an 11-run lead.

In the bottom of the fourth, the Mean Green found their second hit as Smith singled down the left-field line. The first and only run for North Texas came in the bottom of the fifth when the ball slid past the glove of freshman RHP Mya Perez, allowing junior PR Emma Grahmann to score on the error.

The Aggies will return home to Davis Diamond for a weekend series against Ole Miss starting Friday, April 19 at 6 p.m.