The No. 3 Texas A&M baseball team took on No. 1 Tennessee Thursday at 1 p.m. at Hoover Metropolitan Stadium in Hoover, Alabama. Despite its...

No. 1 Texas A&M track captures nine victories in Palo Alto

Texas A&M track continued to roll as its came away with nine wins at the Stanford Invitational in Palo Alto.

The Aggies jumped out to a strong start on Good Friday, in which they took the top spots in four individual events — the men and women’s 400 hurdles, the 100 meter and the long jump.

Shamier Little set a new meet record in the long hurdles in Palo Alto with a time of 56.42. Last season, she set the school record in the 400 hurdles en route to claiming the NCAA individual title.

It was a good race…,” Little told the media after Friday’s competition. “It was a good opener, and it was my best ever opening time. This time tells me a lot, in the past I’ve opened with 59 seconds or slower. To open with a 56 I’m definitely ready for the rest of the season.”

The men produced the other three Friday victories. Senior Gary Coleman took first on the men’s side with a time of 50.54 to complete the Aggie sweep in the 400 hurdles. Fellow sprinter Shavez Hart finished ahead of the rest of the field in the 100-meter sprint with a time of 10.23 and Latario Collie won the long jump with a mark of 25 feet, 9.5 inches.

Saturday brought two more sweeps for the Aggies in the 200-meter dashes and 4×100 relays and another victory in the women’s discus. Deon Lendore (21.04 for the men) and Ashton Purvis (23.48 for the women) were responsible for the wins in the 200 m. A&M also took first in the sprint relays with winning times of 39.69 (men) and 43.94 (women).

Junior Shelbi Vaughn continued her dominant campaign in the discus by claiming another win at Stanford. Vaughn, who set a new meet record at last week’s Texas Relays, bested the rest of the invitational field with a toss of 194 feet, 2 inches. Second place finished over six feet behind her.
The Aggie women and men’s next event is this weekend’s Arizona State Sun Angel Classic in Tempe.