Sophomore LHP Ryan Prager (18) celebrates getting the last strikeout during A&Ms games against Vanderbilt on Friday, April 11, 2024, at Olsen Field. (CJ Smith/The Battalion)
Ring Day run rule
Ring Day run rule
Dr. Weston Porter (top left) and researchers from the breast cancer lab. (Photo courtesy of Dr. Weston Porter)
New A&M research initiative provides cutting-edge cancer treatments
J.M. Wise, News Reporter • April 8, 2024

It has been 20 months since Michelle Pozzi, Ph.D, of Texas A&M’s Biochemistry and Biophysics department was diagnosed with cancer. However,...

Ring Day run rule
Neil Jhurani, Sports Writer • April 12, 2024

It was Ring Day in Aggieland when No. 3 Texas A&M faced off against No. 6 Vanderbilt on Friday night in the first game of a three-game set. The...

Students, residents commemorates Eid Al-Fitr
Lasan Ukwatta Liyanage, Life & Arts Writer • April 11, 2024

This year's Eid Al-Fitr celebration, hosted by Texas A&M’s Muslim Student Association, or MSA, drew over 1,500 attendees on Wednesday,...

Student housing located right outside off campus boundaries on George Bush Drive. 
Guest Commentary: An open letter to City Hall
Ben Crockett, Guest Contributor • April 11, 2024

City Council, As representatives of the Texas Aggie Classes of 2024, 2025, 2026 and 2027, we write to you today to urge a reconsideration...

No. 11 Aggies sweep Commodores

Photo by Connor May
Sophomore Mia Kupres returns the ball at Texas A&M’s match against Florida on Sunday, March 3, 2024, at the Mitchell Tennis Center. (© Connor May/The Battalion)

The No. 11 Texas A&M women’s tennis team hosted the Vanderbilt Commodores on Friday, March 22, at the Mitchell Tennis Center.

With a 7-0 win, the Aggies displayed dominance and illustrated why they are the 11th-ranked team in the nation. The Maroon and White improved their record to 14-6 overall and stay a perfect 7-0 at home.

Starting doubles play, the Aggies started off strong. The Aggies’ duo of fifth-year Sydney Fitch and sophomore Nicole Khirin defeated the Commodores’ senior Holly Staff and junior Amy Stevens, 6-3.

Continuing on with doubles play, the Maroon and White duo of freshman Lucciana Perez and junior Jeanette Mireles knocked off Vandy’s sophomore Bridget Stammel and freshman Valeria Ray to secure the Aggies’ first point of the day.

The Aggie duo of junior Mary Stoiana and sophomore Mia Kupres, who lead the Aggies in doubles wins, matched the Commodores’ duo of junior Celia-Belle Mohr and senior Anessa Lee but were unable to finish their match, 4-4.

Moving onto singles play on court 4, the Maroon and White continued their dominance as the Aggies’ Perez took down the Commodores’ senior Anessa Lee in a quick two set match, 6-2, 6-1.

On Court 3, Kupres took care of business against Vanderbilt’s Ray to give the Maroon and White a commanding 3 point lead, 6-3, 6-1.

Not slowing down on Court 2, Khirin secured the win for the Maroon and White after defeating the Commodore sophomore Bridget Stammel in an easy two-set match, 6-2, 6-2.

Stoiana secured the fifth point for the Maroon and White after defeating Vanderbilt’s junior Celia-Belle Mohr in a two-set match, 6-2, 6-4.

Looking to secure the sweep, on Court 6, the Aggies’ sophomore Daria Smetannikov took down Vandy’s junior Amy Stevens in a competitive two-set match, 6-4, 6-4.

Securing the sweep for the Maroon and White on Court 5, Mireles comfortably marched past the Commodores’ senior Holly Staff in a tough two set match, 6-3, 7-5.

“That was a very impressive effort by our group,” coach Mark Weaver said. “To beat a very solid SEC team without losing a set was quite the performance. I’m also very proud of the consistency our program has shown to now have won 50 consecutive matches here at the Mitchell Tennis Center, and I appreciate all the support from our loyal fans over the years.”

A&M looks to extend its winning streak as it takes on the Kentucky Wildcats on Sunday, March 24.