No. 11 A&M baseball defeats Houston Baptist to move to (8-0) on the season

Photo by Photo by Annie Lui

The Texas A&M baseball team cheers on their teammates.

The No. 11 Texas A&M baseball team kept its perfect season intact on Tuesday night as the Aggies knocked off the Houston Baptist Huskies 7-1. With the win, the Aggies improve to 8-0 and with the loss, Houston Baptist falls to 3-6. The game was never really in doubt as the Aggies led the whole way and downed the Huskies.
Houston Baptist threatened early when senior leadoff hitter Spencer Halloran hit a double in the first at bat of the game, but Aggie sophomore starting pitcher John Doxakis struck out the side and shut down the momentum. The Aggies then started the scoring early as they added three runs in the bottom of the first. Sophomore shortstop Braden Shewmake and sophomore first baseman Chris Andritsos smacked back-to-back home runs with two outs, and sophomore catcher Hunter Coleman doubled and then scored on sophomore outfielder Logan Foster’s single. 
“I thought we played great,” head coach Rob Childress said. “The first inning was a four-run swing when they hit a leadoff double, and just like that they got all the momentum and energy and [Doxakis] didn’t allow them to score, he struck out the side and got us in the dugout. Two outs, two strikes and nobody on, we scored three runs in the bottom of the first and took all the momentum away.”
After taking the momentum away in the bottom of the first, A&M wouldn’t look back. The Aggies added another run in the second when junior second baseman Michael Helman doubled to score freshman center fielder Zach DeLoach from first. Then, Houston Baptist added its lone run in the game when Halloran hit an RBI single up the middle. The Aggies answered in the seventh when they added three more runs on singles from Shewmake, Foster, and junior Cole Bedford.
Doxakis cruised through the Houston Baptist lineup on Tuesday night. The lefty tossed six innings, giving up just one run on one hit while walking none and striking out eight. Doxakis put the lineup down in order in innings 2-5 with the help of a caught stealing by his catcher Coleman. 
“It’s always going to feel good to be at your best,” Doxakis said. “I couldn’t do it without the older guys, they keep motivating me everyday to get better and better. You never want a leadoff double, but you’ve got to have confidence in your stuff. My slider was tough to hit tonight.”
The Aggies will be back in action on Wednesday as they welcome Incarnate Word to Blue Bell Park. First pitch is scheduled for 6:30 p.m.