No. 12 Aggies defeat Bulldogs for fifth consecutive SEC win

Photo by Connor May
Freshman Tiago Pires returns the ball at Texas A&M’s match against Pepperdine on Sunday, Feb. 25, 2024, at the Mitchell Tennis Center. (© Connor May/The Battalion)

The No. 12 Texas A&M men’s tennis team took on the Georgia Bulldogs on Sunday, March 17 at the Mitchell Tennis Center. Looking to extend their SEC winning streak to five, the Aggies came to play.

Beginning with doubles play, the No. 58 Aggie duo of junior Giulio Perego and sophomore Togan Tokac gave great effort but were unable to defeat the Bulldog freshman duo of Freddy Blaydes and Niels Ratiu, 6-3.

The Georgia junior duo of Ryan Colby and Thomas Paulsel took care of business against the Aggies’ duo of junior Luke Casper and junior JC Roddick to take home the doubles point, 6-4.

The A&M duo of freshman Tiago Pires and graduate Kenner Taylor took a 5-4 lead on the Bulldogs’ duo of freshman Cyrus Mahjoob and junior Miguel Perez Pena but were unable to finish the set.

Moving onto singles play on Court 6, the Bulldogs continued their dominance as Georgia sophomore Felipe Costa defeated Casper in a quick two-set match, 7-5, 6-1.

Looking for a spark on Court 4, No. 116 Perego gave the Maroon and White their first point of the day, defeating No. 100 Perez Pena in a two-set match, 6-1, 7-5.

On Court 2, No. 64 Roddick gave the Maroon and White their second point and tied the score with a defeat over No. 82 Paulsell in a two-set match, 6-3, 7-5.

Court 1 continued to be all Maroon and White as the Aggies’ No. 36 senior Raphael Perot demonstrated incredible effort while defeating No. 65 Colby in a tight three-set match, 2-6, 6-2, 6-3.

On Court 5, Pires secured the win for the Maroon and White as he defeated Mahjoob in a nail-biting three-set match, 7-6 (7-2), 4-6, 6-2.

Finishing off its matches, the A&M continued to dominate in singles on Court 3 as No. 118 Tokac took care of business against Ratiu in a hard fought three-set match, 6-7 (4-7), 6-4, 6-4.

The Aggies showed why they are the 12th-ranked team and captured their fifth SEC win in a row to improve to 10-1 at home. A&M looks to extend its winning streak as they take on the Kentucky Wildcats on Friday, March 22.