Texas A&M pitcher Evan Aschenbeck (53) throws a pitch during Texas A&M’s game against Florida at the NCAA Men’s College World Series semifinal at Charles Schwab Field in Omaha, Nebraska on Sunday, June 19, 2024. (Hannah Harrison/The Battalion)
Aggies defeat Gators 6-0 to advance to first College World Series finals
Kolton Becker, Sports Writer • June 20, 2024

There’s always a first for everything.  For the first time in program history, Texas A&M baseball is headed to the Men’s College...

No. 12 Aggies host Florida Gulf Coast

After a weekend that saw the No. 12 Texas A&M soccer team fall to the Arizona State Sun Devils and claim a tie with the Arizona Wildcats, the Aggies (4-1-1) continue their 2014 campaign against the Florida Gulf Coast Eagles (4-1-0) Thursday night in a 7 p.m. contest at Ellis Field.
Aggie head coach Coach G Guerrieri was “disappointed” after the team fell 2-1 to the Wildcats on Sunday due to an 88th minute goal from Arizona State’s Mackenzie Semerad, her first of the season. This game was the sequel to a Friday night contest against the Wildcat’s rival Arizona State in which neither team could find the game winner in overtime and played to a 2-2 tie.
Kelley Monogue scored her sixth goal of the season, bringing her career total points to 100. Monogue is the eighth Aggie in program history to accomplish the feat and has done so by way of 42 goals and 18 assists for a current total of 102.
Monogue and company will need the offense to take out an Eagles team who is coming off its best offensive performance of the season, claiming a 4-0 victory against Murray State last Sunday.
The Eagles’ Tabby Tindell tacked on two goals to bring her team-leading total to six on the year. Paulina Speckmaier trails in second place with three goals on the season while senior Melissa Arnold has a goal of her own for the Eagles.
Though senior forward Shannen Wacker has yet to score a goal of her own this year for FGCU, she has assisted on a team leading five goals.
Brittany Brown has played the entirety of the season in goal for the Eagles. In the 56 shots she has faced thus far in her junior campaign, she has two shutouts along with 26 saves while allowing just three goals.
Aggie senior Bianca Brinson hopes to build on her success against Arizona where she scored both goals for her team against the Wildcat offense under the Arizona Sun.
The Aggie offensive attack has been problematic for defenses, while the defense has more than held their own against their opposition. A&M has scored 15 goals off of 127 shots to this point in the year, while they have allowed just 75.
Opposition has attempted 29 shots on goal against the Aggies, where Renee McDermott has accounted for 20 saves during her play as the Maroon and White goalkeeper.