Items from Lt. Col. David Michael Booth, Class of 1964, on display at the Muster Reflections Display in the Memorial Student Center on Wednesday, April 17, 2024. (Chris Swann/The Battalion)
Muster Reflections Display held ahead of ceremony
Hilani Quinones, Assistant News Editor • April 18, 2024

Until April 21, visitors can view personal memorabilia from fallen Aggies who will be honored at the 2024 Muster Ceremony. The Aggie Muster...

Julia Cottrill (42) celebrating a double during Texas A&Ms game against Southeastern Louisiana on Thursday, Feb. 22, 2024 at Davis Diamond. (Hannah Harrison/The Battalion)
Muffled the Mean Green
Shanielle Veazie, Sports Writer • April 17, 2024

Early pitching woes gave Texas A&M softball all the momentum needed to defeat the University of North Texas, 11-1, in a matchup on Wednesday,...

The Highway 6 Band performs while listeners slow dance at The Corner Bar and Rooftop Grill on Sunday, March 24, 2024. (Chris Swann/The Battalion)
'Life is a Highway' (6 Band)
Amy Leigh Steward, Assistant Life & Arts Editor • April 17, 2024

It starts with a guitar riff. Justin Faldyn plays lead, pulling rock and blues out of the strings.  After a beat, comes the beat of the drums,...

Think your music taste somehow makes you different? Opinion writer Isabella Garcia says being unique is an illusion. (Photo by Kyle Heise/The Battalion)
Opinion: The myth of uniqueness
Isabella Garcia, Opinion Writer • April 16, 2024

You’re basic. It’s thought that the term “basic bitch” originated from a 2009 video of Lil Duval standing on a toilet in front of...

No. 12 A&M upsets No. 8 Tennessee for second in SEC standings

Photo by Connor May
Freshman Tiago Pires returns the ball at Texas A&M’s match against Pepperdine on Sunday, Feb. 25, 2024, at the Mitchell Tennis Center. (© Connor May/The Battalion)

While basketball, baseball and softball have demanded plenty of attention across Texas A&M’s campus this spring, the Aggies’ No. 12 men’s tennis team is offering plenty of reasons to catch the eyes of fans.

The latest came in the form of a 5-2 win over No. 8 Tennessee on Friday, March 15 at the Mitchell Tennis Center, where A&M has built a 9-1 record this season. That lone defeat came to No. 1 Ohio State only two days ago.

Falling to the Buckeyes didn’t slow down the Aggies’ momentum in conference play, with the team picking up its fourth consecutive SEC victory against the Volunteers. The streak has kept the Maroon and White battle-tested, featuring wins over No. 16 South Carolina and No. 22 Mississippi State.

“I thought it was a hard-fought win,” coach Steve Denton said. “I was especially pleased with the bounce back after a very tough loss to Ohio State on Wednesday night.”

No. 64 junior JC Roddick represents a significant piece of A&M’s streak, with his 6-1, 7-5 defeat of No. 23 junior Shunsuke Mitsui representing his fifth win in a row and sixth over a ranked opponent this season. He entered the match as the reigning SEC Player of the Week and picked up A&M’s only point versus Ohio State.

Alongside junior Luke Casper, Roddick started the match with a 6-2 doubles loss to Mitsui and freshman Filip Pieczonka, the country’s No. 20 duo. Freshman Tiago Pires and graduate Kenner Taylor responded by taking down freshman Filip Apltauer and graduate Younes Lalami, 7-5.

The crucial doubles point was clinched by the Aggies with No. 58 junior Giulio Perego and sophomore Togan Tokac mounting a major comeback against the fourth-ranked tandem of graduate Angel Diaz and senior Johannus Monday. Perego and Tokac found themselves staring at defeat, trailing 5-2, before storming back for a 7-5 triumph that kept them a perfect 6-0 versus ranked duos.

“We did a good job to continue fighting after a slow start in the doubles,” Denton said. “Coming back at No. 1 doubles from down 5-2 in the set, I thought it was a big momentum change in the match.”

Singles play mimicked the back-and-forth nature of doubles, as Roddick started on a high note by taking down Mitsui. Junior Chris Li picked up Tennessee’s first point with a 7-6 (7-2), 6-2 takedown of No. 118 Tokac, but No. 116 Perego kept the Volunteers from evening the score as he beat Diaz, 2-6, 6-3, 6-1.

Tennessee stayed in the game behind No. 6 Monday’s defeat of No. 36 Perot, 7-6 (12-10), 6-2, but Pires iced the Friday victory by outlasting No. 94 Pieczonka, 6-4, 4-6, 6-2. Casper added a 4-6, 6-4, 7-5 win over Apltauer for good measure.

The upset boosts the Aggies to second in the SEC standings behind No. 6 Kentucky. A&M’s marathon of a week continues with a Sunday, March 17 doubleheader against Georgia at 1 p.m. and UT-Arlington at 6 p.m. at the Mitchell Tennis Center.