No. 14 Texas A&M soccer set to face Little Rock Friday

Photo by Photo by: Morgan Engel

Freshmen Cienna Arrieta makes a move to pass by the defender.

The No. 14 Texas A&M soccer team will continue its homestand as they play host to the Little Rock Trojans on Friday night at Ellis Field.

The Aggies, at 2-2 for the season, are coming off of a 2-0 shut out over Tulsa on Sunday night and will look to continue to improve their home record after suffering home losses to No. 1 Florida State and No. 15 UCLA.

Junior Haley Pounds is leading the team in goals and points at three and seven respectively, with freshman Cienna Arrieta behind her at two goals, including one in the second-half against Tulsa and has six points for the season. As a team, the Aggies have scored six goals thus far.

Following the Sunday night’s win over Tulsa, Texas A&M head Coach G Guerrieri, said he was impressed with Arrieta’s cross in the second half that turned into her second goal of the season.

“Hat’s off to Cienna for putting a dangerous ball in there and making it work,” Guerrieri said. “It was a ball that she was trying to put on goal anyway, that we were hoping we were gonna get on the end of but didn’t have too.”

The Little Rock Trojans come into Ellis Field with a 3-2 record for the season and have won three straight, including their last match, a 6-2 victory over the University of Arkansas at Pine Bluff. As a team, the Trojans sit at the 2-1 mark in their road matches.

Offensively, Little Rock has two players that have two goals apiece, including sophomore Jaclyn Purvine and junior Fali Garuba. Both players are the top of their team in points with Purvine at eight and Garuba with six respectively. The Trojans have 10 goals in their five matches thus far.
The game will kickoff at 7:30 p.m. at Ellis Field and will be broadcast on the SEC Network Plus and can be heard on 95.1-2 FM.