No. 14 women’s basketball falls to No. 12 Tennessee

Photo by Photo By Cristian Aguirre

LSU and Texas A&M had similar turnover numbers, 12 and 14 respectively.

The No. 14 Texas A&M women’s basketball team traveled to Knoxville, Tennessee Thursday night to battle the No. 12 Tennessee Volunteers. The Aggies came into the matchup having won five of their last six and three straight, but they took the loss thursday at Tennessee 82-67.
The Volunteers had lost three of their last four before they took down the Aggies. A&M is now 17-6 (6-3 SEC) and Tennessee is now 18-4 (6-3 SEC).
Freshman guard Chennedy Carter led the way for the Aggies, scoring 25 points, while adding six rebounds and six steals. Senior forward Jasmine Lumpkin tallied 22 points and grabbed seven rebounds. Senior forward Anriel Howard scored eight points and added seven rebounds and five assists.
Lumpkin’s 22 points are her career high for points in a game and the first time she’s scored 20+ in her career. Carter’s 20+ outing is her 13th of the year, and has now scored in double digits every game of her short career. Also, during the game, the Aggies were selected the 16th ranked team by the NCAA Tournament selection committee, which would give the Aggies first and second round games in College Station should they stay in the top 16 come tournament time.
Tennessee was led by senior guard Jaime Nared, senior Mercedes Russell, and freshman guard Rennia Davis. Nared racked up 23 points, while grabbing six boards. Russell scored 18 points while adding a game-high 13 rebounds. Davis added 11 points and three rebounds.
The Aggies will be back in action on Sunday at 3 p.m. as they welcome Auburn to Reed Arena. The matchup will be aired on the SEC Network.