No. 15 women’s basketball beats Vanderbilt on the road

Photo by Photo by Jesse Everett

Chennedy Carter shoots over three defenders.

Bringing home their sixth win of 2018, the No. 15 Texas A&M Women’s Basketball, along with freshman Chennedy Carter who dominated the offense after scoring 28 points, defeated the Vanderbilt Commodores 91-67 at the Memorial Gym in Nashville on Sunday.
The Aggies (17-5, 6-2 SEC) took advantage of the Commodores’ (5-17, 1-7 SEC) fouls and turnovers, early in the game forcing an 11-4 lead. A&M freshman, Chennedy Carter made her presence known after scoring 11 points and going 3-5 in field goals in the first quarter. Vanderbilt couldn’t seem to get in a grove during the first half with 17 missed shots and nine turnovers going into halftime.
With this, A&M was able to dominate offensively, using their strength inside the paint to come ahead 42-28. Two A&M players who helped gain this halftime lead were junior, Danni Williams and freshman, Kayla Wells who took over in the second quarter scoring a combined 15 points. Williams with two three-pointers and Wells using her free throws and layups to her favor.
Entering the third quarter, A&M maintained their momentum. With a layup by junior Anriel Howard, the Aggies take their biggest lead of the game so far at 55-36. Although the Commodores were behind in points, they began to show their strength in shooting three-pointers with Cierra Walker and Christa Reed leading the team in threes and trying to close the gap. These points, however, were not enough to overpower the Aggies as they entered the final quarter ahead by 27 points.
With this lead, A&M finished the fourth quarter gaining a 91-67 win over Vanderbilt. Carter led the team in scoring and scored 20 or more points for the 12th time this season. Williams and Khaalia Hillsman were not far behind, Williams scored 18 while Hillsman scored 16 points. Jasmine Lumpkin led in rebounds with a career-high of 13, while Howard finished with eight.
The Aggies will travel to Knoxville to face off against No. 10 Tennessee on Feb. 1 at 5:30 p.m. at the Thompson-Boling Arena.