No. 16 A&M clinches series following 10-6 victory over Pepperdine

Photo by Photo by: C. Morgan Engel

The Aggies only have five errors in six games this season.

One day after the pitchers’ duel between No. 16 Texas A&M (6-1) and Pepperdine (4-2), the Aggies had no problem scoring runs and defeated Pepperdine 10-6 in the series finale at Olsen Field Sunday afternoon. 
So far this season, the Aggies have relied heavily on their freshmen and Sunday’s game was no exception. Logan Foster, who got the start at DH, led off an offensively charged day with his first home run of his career in the bottom of the first to put A&M up 1-0. Before the day was over, Foster would add another solo home run late in the 8th inning to help hold off Pepperdine. 
Second baseman Braden Shewmake got on base with an RBI double in the third base line and ended the day 5-5, with a home run and three RBI with a .469 batting average. 
“It’s good to come back like a night like last night and hit the ball, we had 15 hits,” Shewmake said. “So, everybody was swinging it, so it’s really nice to come back and play our brand of baseball.”
After Foster put A&M on the scoreboard in the first inning, the Waves responded in the top of the second. Ben Rodriguez led off the inning with a triple and Austin Bernard brought him home off a single from the Aggies’ right-handed pitcher Mitchell Kilkenny to tie the game 1-1.
Kilkenny lasted 4.1 innings while scattering five hits and giving up two runs. He pitched around a bases loaded jam in the top of the third inning but failed to get out of the fifth inning which would end this day.  
When Kaylor Chafin came to pitch in relief for in the fifth inning for the Aggies, Kilkenny had put runners on second and third with back-to-back hits. After Chafin entered the game with a 2-1 lead, he sailed a pitch to the backstop and Pepperdine tied the game at 2-2 with the run charged to Kilkenny. 
Despite the wild pitch, Chafin was solid in relief for the Aggies, pitching three innings and giving up two runs, ultimately earning the win. Chafin struck out the side in sixth inning and credits his defense for him being able to attack opposing hitters.
“It was good, it makes it easy when you have a good defense like [we do, they] trust you to get those strikes,” Chafin said. “It just makes it easy because they’re always there behind you.”
Right after Pepperdine tied the game at 2-2, Shewmake launched a two-run home run in the bottom of the inning — his first of his career — to put A&M ahead 4-2. The maroon and white continued to tack on runs. 
The Aggies scored every inning following the fifth — 1 in the sixth, 3 in the seventh and 2 in the eighth. 
Outfielder Blake Kopetsky turned a single and a bunt  by Cole Bedford in the sixth into a run, after Pepperdine threw the ball out of reach at second base. Kopetsky raced around third and slid into home, beating the throw to put his team up 5-2. 
In the seventh inning, A&M took another advantage of another wide throw from Pepperdine and turned it into more runs. Walker Pennington took third on a wide throw after he attempted to steal second and A&M capitalized. Joel Davis singled in Pennington and another single later, Shewmake came through with a two-run RBI double. 
The Waves threatened in the eighth inning after Corbin Martin replaced Chaftin and gave up a three-run home run to Brandon Caruso before Kyle Richardson got the last out of the eighth. 
After Pepperdine had cut the lead to 8-6 following a big eighth inning, the Aggies responded in the bottom half inning with a home run from Foster and another RBI single from Davis which help finished the game. Cason Sherrod was the final reliever of the night and pitched a scoreless inning of relief in the ninth.
Texas A&M head coach Rob Childress said despite still having the lead as they entered the bottom half of the eighth inning, it was crucial to have scored runs which allowed them to enter the ninth inning with more room to work with.
“It was important — it allowed us to breath a little bit coming back in and answering in the bottom of the eighth was big,” Childress said. 
The Aggies will return to the diamond Tuesday night to host Prairie View A&M. First pitch is set for 6:30 p.m.