No. 17 A&M falls to No. 2 Mississippi State

Photo by By Dalia Muayad

Senior Khaalia Hillsman is always ready to grab the rebound. 

After a hard fought battle, the No. 17 Texas A&M women’s basketball team was defeated by the No. 2 Mississippi State Bulldogs in Starkville, Mississippi. The 76-55 loss moved the Aggies down to tied for sixth in the SEC. Conversely, Mississippi State clinched the SEC title with the win. 
The Aggies got off to a slow start allowing the Bulldogs to initiate an 11-point lead after tipoff and the maroon and white struggled to find offensive momentum. A&M ended the first quarter trailing 24-9. 
A&M managed to catch up on the lag, minimizing the deficit to single digits in the first quarter with a score of 29-12 at 2:52 remaining in the second quarter. The short-trailing behind the Bulldogs continued for the Aggies with a 36-25 halftime score.  
Mississippi State continued to rack up points leading the Aggies with 62-43 following the end of the third quarter. The Bulldogs went on to wrap up the fourth quarter as well with a final score of 76-55.
A&M freshman Chennedy Charter was a vital asset to the Aggies and led the Aggies in points with a total of 31 for the game. Carter’s name is no stranger to the spotlight, who seems to only be in competition with herself after following closely to her own past stats in previous games.
Forward Anriel Howard also pulled her weight for the Aggies with the second highest point accumulation of 14. Howard ended the game with 10 rebounds, one assist and two steals. 
The Aggies will hit the road to take on the Arkansas Razorbacks in the season final next Thursday, February 22nd with tip at 7 p.m.