No. 17 A&M sweeps Penn State

Vanessa Peña — THE BATTALION
Sophomore rightfielder Nick Banks rounds third base in the win against Penn State at Olsen Field Saturday.
Vanessa Peña — THE BATTALION Sophomore rightfielder Nick Banks rounds third base in the win against Penn State at Olsen Field Saturday.

Four teams have tried, and four teams have failed.
The No. 17 Texas A&M baseball team (7-0) continued its undefeated season with a 5-2 victory on Sunday at Blue Bell Park against Penn State (0-6).
The Aggies and the Nittany Lions are having polar opposite seasons — the weekend wins cap one of the best starts in Aggie baseball history, while Penn State searches for its first win of the season.
A&M began the series on a windy Friday evening with a 9-3 victory and then continued their winning streak with a convincing 15-2 win. Head coach Rob Childress spoke about junior Grayson Long’s competitiveness in his Saturday start.
“He kept it together,” Childress said. “I think that was in the back of his mind going into today. Once he got into the fight I felt like he was more competitive and stopped worrying about being perfect and he just competed. That’s one of his strengths. I saw a lot of the old Grayson in [the] last four innings.”
The Aggies kicked off the scoring on Sunday with a two-run homer from infielder Logan Taylor in the bottom of the second inning. That was the 12th home run that the Aggies hit this season; A&M didn’t hit their 12th home run until the 34th game of last season. Junior Matt Kent pitched 6 2/3 innings and only allowed eight hits, two runs and six strikeouts. The Aggies pushed the lead to 5-2 with an RBI single from Nick Banks.
A&M looks for its eighth straight win at 6:30 p.m. Tuesday with a visit from Houston Baptist University.