Texas A&M players watch fireworks after Texas A&M’s game against Ole Miss on Friday, April 19, 2024 at Davis Diamond. (Hannah Harrison/The Battalion)
The sun will come out
The sun will come out
Incoming journalism professors Mariano Castillo and Flora Charner sit with former student and Battalion staff member Ken Sury at the FJSA Hall of Fame reception ceremony held in the J. Wayne Stark Galleries in the Memorial Student Center on Friday, April 19, 2024. (Hannah Harrison/The Battalion)
A&M welcomes new journalism professors from CNN, Dallas Morning News
Ana Renfroe and Stacy CoxApril 19, 2024

At a ceremony honoring Aggie journalists, Texas A&M announced it will welcome three new journalism professors in the fall. New hires will...

LSU QB Jayden Daniels (5) runs with the ball during A&Ms game against LSU at Kyle Field on Saturday, Nov. 26, 2022. (Cameron Johnson/The Battalion)
2024 NFL Draft: Ranking every first-round graded quarterback
Mathias Cubillan, Sports Writer • April 21, 2024

As the 2024 NFL Draft in Detroit is closing in, a microscope gets placed on the prospects who play the sport’s most valuable position. Featuring...

The sun will come out
Members of the 2023-2024 Aggie Muster Committee pose outside the Jack K. Williams Administration Building. (Photo courtesy of Aggie Muster Committee)
Orchestrating a century-old tradition
Sydnei Miles, Head Life & Arts Editor • April 18, 2024

As Muster approaches, the Aggie Muster Committee works to organize a now century-old tradition. These students “coordinate every facet” of...

Texas A&M professor Dr. Christina Belanger teaches her Geology 314 class on Wednesday, April 3, 2024, in the Halbouty Geosciences Building. (CJ Smith/The Battalion)
Opinion: Stop beating the dead [virtual] horse
Eddie Phillips, Opinion Writer • April 22, 2024

Snow days were my favorite days of grade school. I would wake up extra early to stand in my living room to peer through the glass toward the...

No. 18 A&M falls to Weber State

Photo by Jaime Rowe
Junior P Emiley Kennedy (11) pitches during Texas A&M’s game against UTSA on Feb. 25, 2024 at Davis Diamond. (Jaime Rowe/The Battalion)

After starting off the Judi Garman Classic with two wins on Feb. 29, No. 18 Texas A&M softball took on Weber State for the first of two games on Friday, March 1 in Fullerton, California at Anderson Family Field.

The first two innings left both teams scoreless, with both the Wildcats and Aggies struggling to find a hole in the defense.

In the third inning, sophomore SS Taegan Smith homered into left field to score the first run of the game for the Wildcats.

A&M wasn’t able to respond at the top of the fourth inning. However, Weber State extended its lead to two runs with its second homer, this time coming from junior 3B Abby Grundy.

At the top of the fifth, A&M finally got to work at the plate. A walk from junior RF Allie Enright sent her to first and she was able to take second off of a groundout from sophomore 3B Kennedy Powell. Another walk came from sophomore 2B Amari Harper, and, right after, senior CF Jazmine Hill doubled to right-center field to send home Harper and Enright to tie it at 2.

For the Wildcats in the fifth inning, a double from Smith and her second RBI of the night sent senior CF Mia Rushton home to take the lead at 3-2.

After an uneventful sixth inning, the seventh had the Aggies show more fight with one last chance to win the game. With two outs putting the Aggies against the wall, Powell singled to get the wheels turning for the Aggies. With Harper at bat, Powell was able to steal second.

No time was wasted for the Aggies as Harper singled to center field and advanced to second on the throw as Powell scored a run to tie the game, 3-3.

The Maroon and White’s defense held off the Wildcats’ attempts to win the game with a walk-off run as coach Trisha Ford subbed in junior LHP Emiley Kennedy, coming off 28 punchouts over her last two games.

With a strikeout from Kennedy and a fly ball caught by Hill, A&M forced an extra eighth inning.

A&M was at bat first and with Hill placed at second, A&M scored on the first pitch as senior 1B Trinity Cannon doubled into right-center field for Hill to run home to make the game 4-3. Ford elected to have freshman Scout Lovell pinch run for Cannon, with Lovell being able to advance to third off a single from senior SS Rylen Wiggins.

Wiggins was able to steal her second base of the game to put an Aggie at second and third, but they were left stranded.

A passed ball advanced Weber State sophomore PR Riley Whalen to third and another passed ball allowed Whalen to score as junior 1B Olivia Birkinshaw walked. Birkinshaw was able to advance to second from a bunt from Grundy and then advanced to third from a groundout from senior 2B Makayla Donahoo.

A single from junior RF Giannia Memoli sent Birkinshaw home to win it for the Wildcats and stun the Aggies with a final score of 5-4.