No. 19 Women’s basketball shows dominance over Texas Tech, 90-56

Photo by Photo by Kevin Chou

Freshman point guard Chennedy Carter shined in the game against Texas Tech, becoming the first freshman in Texas A&M history to score 30 points in a game.

Right from tip off, there was no question who would leave the United Supermarket Arena victorious on Sunday afternoon, as No. 19 Texas A&M trounced Texas Tech 90-56.
It was the Aggies sixth-straight win against the Lady Raiders, and the largest margin of victory in the 76-game history of the series. A&M was led by Chennedy Carter who became the first freshman in school history to score 30-plus points in a game.
A&M (4-1) jumped out to a 34-5 lead to start the game. The team set school records for both points in a quarter (34) and 3-pointers in a quarter (6), and held a 49-17 lead at halftime, never giving Texas Tech a chance.
“I think it was just like the knockout punch,” senior Jasmine Lumpkin said to 12thMan.com of the team’s first quarter performance. “We came out with the energy and intensity that we needed. Some games we start off sluggish so we made sure we came out with intensity and let them know that we were trying to dominate the basketball game.”
Carter, who scored 30 points, was 12-of-18 from the field and went a perfect 3-of-3 from behind the 3-point line. She became the first freshman in Texas A&M history to score at least 15 points in her first five career games.
Along with Carter, three other Aggies scored double digits on Sunday, the fifth-straight game in which four players have done so. Junior Anriel Howard scored 16, while both Lumpkin and junior Danni Williams scored 14.
“The kids put the ball in the basket,” head coach Gary Blair said to 12thMan.com. “Danni was on fire with 11 quick points, and she went a little bit cold after that. Anriel took over and Lumpkin was solid. Between the three of them they were shooting 70 or 80 percent … This team has a lot of weapons and it’s got a lot of good depth on the bench that we are still trying to develop as we go.”
A&M will be at home next week for a back-to-back, hosting Prairie View A&M on Nov. 28 and Rice on Nov. 29.