Texas A&M infielder Ted Burton (27) and catcher Jackson Appel (20) collide during Texas A&M’s game against Arkansas at Olsen Field on Friday, May 17, 2024. (CJ Smith/The Battalion)
Razorbacks take Game 2 over Aggies behind solid bullpen performance
Hunter Mitchell, Associate Sports Editor • May 17, 2024

In Thursday’s game against No. 3 Arkansas, it took 11 innings in a historic pitcher’s duel between junior LHP Hagen Smith and sophomore LHP...

No. 2 A&M defeats No. 8 South Carolina 14-6 in College Station

Equestrian
Photo by Brian Okosun
Equestrian

No. 2 Texas A&M moves to 7-2, 3-1 SEC in Friday’s defeat of the No. 8 South Carolina Gamecocks who fall to 4-5, 1-4 SEC. The Gamecocks have struggled in conference this season and leave this competition still looking for their first road win. The Aggies on the other hand continue prove their worth after suffering a loss New Mexico State just two weeks ago.
The morning kicked off with Equitation over Fences where the Aggies have struggled to find their footing. Junior Alex Desiderio uncharacteristically conceded a point to Madison Sellman of South Carolina (68-84). Fortunately the likes of sophomore Rebekah Chenelle, junior Rachael Hake, and senior Haley Webster carried the team to a 3-2 win.
The Aggies closed out the Hunter Seat competition with another 3-2 victory in Equitation on the Flat. Senior Anna Rea set the pace with a match-high 88 over Gamecock Lizzie van der Walde’s 83. Chenelle and junior Maddie Swem each contributed a point over Sydney Smith and Chloe Schmidt to send the Aggies into the second half.
The Gamecocks were holding their own heading into the Western competition at 6-4. It was here, however that the Aggies left South Carolina in the dust of what has undoubtedly been their strongest categories of the season. Texas A&M made quick work of the Palmetto State as seniors Sarah Kate Grider, Sarah McEntire, and junior Jaci Marley each earned individual points. It was the younger sophomore Haley Franc that took home MOP honors with her competition-high 76-73 victory over Bailey Walters to give the Aggies a 10-5 lead.
The Aggies held a comfortable lead going into the final competition of the day, needing to score only a point in the Horsemanship category. However, after conceding one score the ladies took it upon themselves to sweep the final four rides with the talents of sophomore Sarah Orsak, junior Avery Ellis, senior Rachel Lucht, and senior Kaci Fisher in her MOP efforts.
The Aggies return to action February 25th as they pay visit to the No. 7 Georgia Bulldogs. The ladies saddle up at 9 a.m. at the UGA Equestrian Center in Bishop, Georgia.