No. 2 Oregon top team to visit A&M since 2006

Timothy Lai — THE BATTALION
Senior pitcher Rachel Fox winds up at home during the Aggie Classic last weekend. 
Timothy Lai — THE BATTALION Senior pitcher Rachel Fox winds up at home during the Aggie Classic last weekend. 

The softball team will host the nation’s No. 2 team for the first time in almost a decade.
No. 23 Texas A&M will play in its first midweek game of the season against No. 2 Oregon on Wednesday at the Aggie Softball Complex.
Oregon is the highest ranked opponent the Aggies has faced at home since No. 2 University of Texas came to town on April 26, 2006. On such a rare occasion, head coach Jo Evans said it is important to play well against a great team like Oregon.
“Oregon is probably more talented than UCLA, who we faced a couple of weeks ago, and projected to likely win a national championship,” Evans said. “It’s going to be a great test for us.”
The Ducks went a perfect 6-0 in their opening weekend of the 2015 season at the Kajikawa Classic in Tempe, Ariz. Amid a schedule that included No. 25 Texas, North Carolina, Wisconsin and Northwestern teams all receiving votes in the preseason polls, the Ducks outscored their foes 55-15 over the six games.
Oregon hit eight home runs at the tournament while not allowing a single long ball. The Ducks hit .405 as a team while Oregon pitchers held opponents to a .204 combined average.
Texas A&M (7-3) is projected to face nine ranked opponents before the season comes to an end and is 1-1 against the top 25 after splitting games with now-No. 12 UCLA. The Aggies are riding a hot pitching staff with senior Rachel Fox and junior Katie Marks leading the way. Fox said the relief pitching has been strong.
“I’m really proud of our staff out of the bullpen,” Fox said. “Our pitching out of the bullpen has been exceptional.”
Junior Cali Lanphear said momentum will be important going in to the clash with Oregon.
“We had some success this past weekend and that’s huge, especially for the younger ones going into a big game playing against the likes of Oregon,” Lanphear said.
First pitch is scheduled for 4:30 p.m. Fans are encouraged to wear camouflage in an effort to “hunt” the Ducks and the first 300 will receive a camouflage Texas A&M Softball drawstring bag.