No. 20 A&M rolls to win over Cal Poly

As the 2015 calendar year comes to a close, the No. 20 Aggies had one last challenge before they begin conference play on January 2.
The Aggies sleepwalked in the second half for a bit, but they eventually awoke themselves to put away Cal Poly 82-63.
A&M (10-2) was led by freshman Tyler Davis, who pitched in 18 points and eight rebounds while shooting 8-for-9 in the ballgame. With the performance from the floor, Davis leads the nation, shooting 79.4 percent this season.
It was a sluggish start for A&M in the first half, but they utilized a 21-4 run to take a 32-13 lead midway through the period. Cal Poly would not go away however, and the Aggies led 44-29 at the break.
A&M shot 49 percent from the floor in the game, and hit 33 percent of their three-point attempts. Free throws were once again an issue however, as A&M shot a dreary 43 percent from the charity stripe.
Defensively, the Aggies were stingy once again. They forced 13 turnovers, which led to 21 points, and they allowed the Mustangs (6-7) to shoot just 39 percent from the floor on the evening. A&M also did not allow the Mustangs to score a single fast break point in the contest.
A&M forced seven steals, led by Alex Caruso who had two of them. He now sits tied atop the list of the programs all-time record for steals in a career. The senior finished with a game-high six assists, and has 27 assists against just four turnovers in his last four games.  
The second half presented a lull in the middle of the period. Both teams went on three minute scoring droughts, and the feisty Mustangs pulled to within nine points of the Aggies. However, A&M used another 16-3 run to take a commanding 73-51 lead late in the second half and salted the game away from there.
Cal Poly was led by Reese Morgan, the teams’ leading three-point shooter, who dropped 16 points with three rebounds and two assists. Brian Bennett came off the bench for the Mustangs to put in 13 points of his own while shooting 6-for-10 from the floor.
The Aggies dominated Cal Poly down low, as they outrebounded the Mustangs 43 to 34 and outscored them in the paint by a 32 to 22 margin.
Anthony Collins also had a solid night, pitching in 11 points while shooting 3-for-5 from behind the arc. Alongside him, Danuel House scored 12 and Jalen Jones put in 11 points of his own.
A&M will now take a short hiatus as 2015 comes to a close, but conference play is just around the corner. Next up, the Aggies host Arkansas on January 2 for their SEC opener.