Sophomore OF Jace LaViolette (17) talks to Assistant Head Coach Nolan Cain during A&Ms games against Houston Christian University on Tuesday, March 26, 2024, at Olsen Field. (CJ Smith/The Battalion)
Searching for answers
Hunter Mitchell, Associate Sports Editor • May 11, 2024

Just a little over two weeks ago, Texas A&M baseball seemed to have everything going just right. Sitting at No. 1 in the country, the only...

No. 21 A&M volleyball struggles against Florida State, drops two matches

After losing to No. 6 Florida State 3-1 Friday, the No. 21 Texas A&M volleyball team took the court against the Seminoles again Saturday. The loss on Friday ended the Aggies’ five-game winning streak, and on Saturday Florida State’s defense would prove to be to be too much for the young Aggie team.
A&M began the first set with a five-point lead, getting big blocks from junior Shelby Sullivan and digs by freshman Ashlie Reasor, but the lead did not last long. The Seminoles came back from an eight-point deficit to win the game with a roll shot, 25-20.
A close game at every turn, the second set had 14 ties, but the Seminoles pulled away for a final score of 25-16. Sydney Wilhelm, Kiara McGee and Hannah Hood gave the Aggies a hand on some much-needed points, but a Seminole block would end the set.
Unable to match high-speed Florida State, A&M started with a 12-point hole in the third set. Sophomore Kaysie Shebeneck added two assists and a dig to the game, but the Aggies were unable to come back, losing the final set 25-8.
A&M head coach Laurie Corbelli said the final set was “the most miserable set we have played in a long time.”
“We have a very, very novice group, to tell you the truth,” Corbelli said. “I think their experience and our inexperience really showed up today.”
A&M will play at 6:30 p.m. Monday against A&M Corpus Christi.
“We know pretty darn well what we must change and what we must improve in, so you can bet that we’re starting with tomorrow,” Corbelli said. “We have a team coming in, and we need to get back to Aggie volleyball.”