A&M welcomes new journalism professors from CNN, Dallas Morning News
Ana Renfroe and Stacy Cox April 19, 2024

At a ceremony honoring Aggie journalists, Texas A&M announced it will welcome three new journalism professors in the fall. New hires will...

Texas A&M outfielder Jace Laviolette (17) hits a home run during Texas A&M’s game against The United States Air Force Academy on Tuesday, April 16, 2024 at Olsen Field. (Hannah Harrison/The Battalion)
No. 1 Aggies combine for 28 runs in doubleheader sweep of Crimson Tide
Luke White and Justin ChenApril 19, 2024

Game 1 If the Texas A&M baseball team can treat each inning like it’s been playing in the fifth frame during the past week, it shouldn’t...

Members of the 2023-2024 Aggie Muster Committee pose outside the Jack K. Williams Administration Building. (Photo courtesy of Aggie Muster Committee)
Orchestrating a century-old tradition
Sydnei Miles, Head Life & Arts Editor • April 18, 2024

As Muster approaches, the Aggie Muster Committee works to organize a now century-old tradition. These students “coordinate every facet” of...

(Graphic by Ethan Mattson/The Battalion)
Opinion: ‘Fake Money,’ real change
Eddie Phillips, Opinion Writer • April 19, 2024

Us Aggies live privileged existences: companies beg us to take on tens of thousands in loans.  I know this may sound contradictory, but the...

No. 23 A&M lands top-10 finish at Valspar Collegiate Invitational

Courtesy of Craig Biscare/Texas A&M Athletics
Senior member of the Texas A&M golf team Sam Bennett secured a podium finish at the second tournament of the 2021 season. 

The No. 23 Texas A&M men’s golf team hit the road to Palm City, Florida to play in the Valspar Collegiate Invitational on March 25-26.

The Aggies finished in seventh place at 3-over 855, a step down from placing sixth last year. On the opening day, A&M placed eighth at 5-over 573.

“We had some momentum early and then hit a few uncharacteristic shots that kind of stalled us out,” coach Brian Kortan said. “Overall, a nice week, but we know we have to keep progressing as we get near championship season.”

No. 11 Florida State won the tournament at 19-under 833, followed by No. 3 Vanderbilt at 15-under 837 and No. 4 Arizona State at 10-under 842. A&M managed to jump ahead of No. 1 North Carolina in the final round. The Tar Heels placed eighth with a total score of 856.

Sophomore Jamie Montojo led the Aggies on the first day of competition, tied at 14th place, but finished the event tied at 25th with 1-over 214.

Senior Daniel Rodrigues and junior Vishnu Sadagopan paced behind Montojo with rounds of 2-under 69. Rodrigues paced with six birdies on the day and finished tied for 32nd at 3-over 216.

“I knew [Rodrigues] would probably play a pretty good round,” Kortan said. “He was disappointed with how he scored yesterday, and I was happy to see him bounce back with a good score.”

Sadagopan finished the tournament tied for 46th place at 5-over 218, notching four birdies on the first day of the tournament.

“Vish [Vishnu Sadagopan] has been trending for a while to have a good round for us,” Kortan said. “It’s not the easiest ride in the world, but I like where we’re headed.”

In the individual field, freshman Aaron Pounds placed 44th at 4-over 146.

The Aggies will return home April 6-7 to host the Aggie Invitational at Traditions Club.

“The guys are really excited to play at Traditions and defend their home turf,” Kortan said. “It’s always fun to play in front of our friends, family and fans, and we’ll rest up and then get ready for the Aggie Invitational.”