No. 5 Aggies fall to Arkansas in series finale in Fayetteville

Photo by Photo by: C. Morgan Engel

Junior outfielder Erica Russell would finish the game with two RBIs

The No. 5 Texas A&M softball team took on the Arkansas Razorbacks in the final game of the series on Easter Sunday. After winning the first two games of the series on Friday and Saturday, the Aggies were looking for the sweep, but couldn’t get it as they lost the final game 4-3 to the Razorbacks. A&M is now 37-4 (11-3 SEC) and Arkansas improves to 26-16 (5-13 SEC) after the series finale.

Neither team scored until the bottom of the fifth inning when Arkansas got on the board first with two runs on a solo home run and an RBI single later in the inning.

The Aggies couldn’t get anything going until the top of the seventh when they added three runs to take the lead on two sacrifice flies and an error. In the bottom half of the inning, Arkansas took advantage of their last opportunity by scoring two runs and walking it off on an RBI single.

A&M was led in the circle by junior starter Lexi Smith who tossed five and two-thirds innings, giving up just one earned run on four hits, while striking out six and walking two.

At the plate, the Aggies were led by sophomore outfielder Keeli Milligan, junior first baseman Tori Vidales and freshman outfielder Sarah Hudek. Milligan, who hit leadoff after hitting in the ninth spot for most of the season, went 2-4 at the leadoff spot Sunday. Vidales went 1-3 with an RBI and Hudek went 1-3 with a run scored.

Arkansas was led in the circle by freshmen Autumn Storms and Caroline Hedgcock. Storms pitched five and one-third innings, giving up two earned runs on just three hits, while striking out five and walking two. Hedgcock threw one and two-thirds shutout innings, giving up just three hits.

At the plate, the Razorbacks were led by junior outfielder Tori Cooper, junior infielder Madison Yannetti, and senior outfielder Nicole Schroeder. Cooper went 2-4 with two RBIs, Yannetti went 2-3, and Schroeder went 1-3 with a solo home run.

The Aggies will be back in action on Wednesday at the Aggie Softball Complex as they take on the No. 17 Louisiana-Lafayette Ragin’ Cajuns who knocked the Aggies out of the NCAA Tournament last year. First pitch is scheduled for 6:30 p.m.